Dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may be a little morbid, but I found the remains of a guppy in the tank. He has been half eaten. Would it be detrimental to the tank if I left it in there and let the fish finish it off?? This is more just a curiosity. Thx for thoughts.

If it died from something contagious they all would have it now. It is releasing ammonia as it decays, besides that it will do no harm.

jeffruth said:
This may be a little morbid, but I found the remains of a guppy in the tank. He has been half eaten. Would it be detrimental to the tank if I left it in there and let the fish finish it off?? This is more just a curiosity. Thx for thoughts.

U want to remove it. A decaying body will release ammonia and u also want find out the cause of it's death. I recommend u to clean ur ornament and vacuum ur gravel making sure nothin is left in the gravels. Also check ur filter. Some may have gotten Into the filter.

No. And yes. The guppy is no different than a ground up frozen cube. Only in a bigger still formed package. (yuck when you think about it) it's the circle of life. But.. It's also putting off ammonia and nutrients into the water column. It will feed your algae as well as the inhabitants of the tank. I usually pick out the big stuff cause I don't like to feed the hair algae. If you don't have an excess nutrient problem, your fish will thank you. My tang carried around the legs of my old emerald crab like a dog with a bone when he died.

I will remove what's left when I get home from work. The 2 snails may take care of it. He died due to natural cause - grumpy Dwarf Gourami. I think the gourami nipped at it. That's the story from my wife. Been out of town a few days a didn't see what was going on. Have two other guppies to watch and see if that's the issue. Otherwise the tank is happy. may be removing guppies if it's an issue.

Back
Top Bottom