Dead flame tetra found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Landonwyeley16

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I came back to school and was fixing some new frogbit I had added to my tank that weekend when I noticed my bn pleco eating off of one of a dead orange Von rio flame tetra I was very sad as I took out it lifeless body. I noticed its fins were eaten off completely it had a bruise on its side I figured this was drone the pleco. Any way i don't know why he died I have noticed my water has been a little cloudy the last couple days after a water change I had did and did not think anything of it. I do believe this may be because I think I over feed my fish and I think that might be the reason why my tetra died(over feeding). I have also read leaving your light on to long con cause some kind of bacteria growth that causes cloudy water ant that might have something to do with it since I have noticed algae growing in my tank I thought it would be the end to algae when I got the two plecos but they don't seem interested and again I think that is a mater of over feeding. So question time. What do u thing could have caused my fish to die is it the over feeding because my other fish look fine? How can I get reed of cloudy water? Should I be concerned for my other fish?

What I have (had) in my tank (36 gallon):
Had 9 now 8 orange Von rio flame tetras
2 bristle nose plecos
2 Bolivian rams
1 male beta
1 pearl gourami

Let me know what you think. Thank you.

I think 2 bn plecos is to many for that tank considering they can be territorial...and bettas shouldn't really be with gourami

I think 2 bn plecos is to many for that tank considering they can be territorial...and bettas shouldn't really be with gourami

Agreed with everything except the betta an the gourami. Unless one of them is ridiculously aggressive, it should be fine. They're both generally peaceful.

Yes my beta and gourami are fine they get along great and I plan on getting read of one of my plecos as soon as they start growing bristles but that is beside the point pleas refer back to my questions

If you are overfeeding, that's likely the problem. Your tetra probably died because of poor water quality, which will happen pretty quickly if you are overfeeding. The cloudy water could be because of that or because of a bacterial bloom. I would start feeding every other day, and do a water change immediately! Take a sample of your cloudy water into a fish or pet store to get tested, and they will tell you how bad your water is. (likely the ammonia or nitrites are too high) Change about 25% of your water once or twice a week until the water is clear again, and continue testing your water to ensure it stays within safe parameters. How old is your tank? Did you cycle it before adding your fish? Is it planted at all?
Keep your lights on for only 8 hours a day.

1 pleco needs to go, and either the gourami or the betta need to go. Betta and gouramis are from the same family and will fight with each other. All the fighting in the tank will cause all of your fish to become stressed. Stressed fish end up being sick and dead fish. Also what are your parameters.
Ammo-
Nitrite-
Nitrate-
pH-
Phosphates-
How long do you run your lights? What kind of lighting do you have, and how many bulbs? What if any ferts are you using? How often are you dosing them? Do you have co2 or do you dose excel? Do you know what type of algae you have? Any pics?

Ok once again my beta and gourami are fine they get along great and again I plan to get red of one o the plecos as soon as they start growing bristles I did a 25% water change and my water is looking a lot clearer I do have quite a phew plant don't know all the names tho I do know I have a lily bulb that has sprouted same with my onion bulb I also have amazon frogbit and a dwarf amazon sward I do have another more taller plant but I can't recall the name I do plan to take my water in to my LFS this weekend unfortunately don't have my own test kit I don't recall the lighting info I do know I was leaving it on to long and started counting back on that but I will let u know more about my water as soon as possible I am planning on getting more plants when I take my water in not shore quite what yet prob another tall plant for background sorry I don't know more and could not be much help

I would dump the actinic that is for saltwater and replace it with a 6500k rated lamp. The is one of the best on the market. The actinic has little if any of the spectrum that is useable by plants. Roughly 90% is wasted. But algae can definitely use it.
Aquarium Lighting T-5 HO Florescent Bulbs: D-D Giesemann Powerchrome Aquaflora T5 Fluorescent Lamps Get a test kit here is one off of amazon that a lot of people here use. Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies
Also get a white bowl or cup and look at the water does it have a green tint or is it clear? If it's green you may be having an algae bloom.

My water is not green and the label said that the light could be used in freshwater tanks for plants #soconfusing?
but ok ya I was meaning to invest in a test kit thank u for the tips

I got my water tested it is all good my water is perfect I bought some stuff to clear the water up u also got some jungle val and another plant at pet smart I don't know the name I will post picture tomorrow if he tank is clear

Back
Top Bottom