Dead German Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattNYCsf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Details of Tank: 12G Tank is 1 month old fully cycled, highly planted tank (lots of hiding), low light, levels are perfect. No Nitrite, No Ammonia, 6.8 PH.

Question: Why did my new German Blue Ram die :( ??

Details of fish: Bought the GBR 2 days ago. I bought two of them. Was not able to sex them. Could have been two males (one larger than the other, or a male and a smaller female). From what I have read GBRs should not be put in pairs in a small tank... oops... did not read this till after. I wish the aquarium store would have told me. :banghead:

During the first two days I noticed some slight aggression from the larger Ram to the smaller. I thought it could be some kind of breeding ritual. This morning (day 3 of the Rams) I woke up to find the smaller ram dead. Wedged between two rocks. All the levels in the tank are fine and the rest of the fish are happy. :fish1::fish2:

So could a GBR ram die in 3 days from slight aggression from a larger Ram? Thoughts? It's my first fish death after picking up the hobby again after a decade. So I am a bit worried and unsure. Thank you. This is also my first post to the site. Just joined.

I'm sorry, I won't even read this whole post.. 12 gal and one month old have no business with gbrs.. you should really research your stocking choices. I know they're very tempting..trust me.. but one should always google before buying.. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

oops... did not read this till after. I wish the aquarium store would have told me. :banghead:

All is well.... we all wish aquarium stores that will do the right thing, but some of the guys working their wont know any better or are trying to make a quick buck. You answered your own question on why. Now you know for any future stocking what to do & for now get a bigger aquarium for the little guy if not take him back if you can. Good luck, bud

GBRs like very established consistent tanks. A 1 month tank is just too early, and top it with its a 12 gallon makes it even worse. Smaller tanks have a greater chance of something going wrong.

I'm sorry for your loss, I have 4 GBRs so I know how tempting they are to buy. I waited over 6 months before putting them in my tank.

Given that the fish died in three days, I'd guess that aggression or inadequate acclimation are the most probable causes. Of course, a bare-bones BB colony and bad stock from the LFS would've hurt over the long-term as well.

I've heard of people doing single pairs of rams in 10 gallon species-only tank. Not sure how happy there are in a tank that size, but my guess is that water parameter swings are the biggest problem.

If you're still interested in rams when your (hopefully 15+ gallon) tank is a good 3-4 months old, buy a confirmed breeding pair from a reputable breeder.

Thank you for the advice and I have done a lot of reading on GBRs since. Should have done this before my purchase. Live and learn. This said, do you have any advice on how to keep the one guy happy at this point? Not sure I can bring him hack to the LFS. Should the LFS take him back. I would not expect a credit or anything. Thoughts?

Taking it back would be the best course but if you're going to keep it?? Keep water pristine (low nitrates) feed high quality food and keep the temp around 80-82..

Also, they do not like sudden changes in water parameters. I did a water change this morning and, since my little 25 W heater is dying, it only got the fresh water in the bucket up to 77 F overnight (tank temp is 81). Since this was only a 20% change and I didn't have time to get a heater today, I figured that it would be tolerable this one time. Immediately after the WC, my male GBR went into one of the driftwood "caves" and hung out near the substrate with his vertical "stress bars" showing. He came out to eat a little while later and is active and back to his normal colors now, so I think he'll be fine. But this goes to show that even genetically-strong stock needs to be handled with kid gloves.

Sorry for your loss, they're great fish.

What else is in the tank besides the ram?

A tank is considered "new" for the first six months. I wouldn't put a GBR in there either, the tank is also too small.

Unless the tank is heavily overstocked, a three-month old tank will work just fine for GBRs. This, of course, assumes that you have ample surface area in the filter for the BB to grow, lots of plants to sponge up ammonia, and do regular water changes.

You should not have put them in a 12g tank. That is way to small for a pair of GBR's. You need at least a 20g tank, At Least. The bigger one could have bullied the other to death or it could just be death by stress.
They're very sensitive fish, even if you do have perfect water parameters.

I'm sorry, I won't even read this whole post.. 12 gal and one month old have no business with gbrs.. you should really research your stocking choices. I know they're very tempting..trust me.. but one should always google before buying.. I'm sorry for your loss.

Darn it Brookster I don't know whether to say that you're right or wrong on the tank size. Can we just say both because of footprint differences? Rams can easily be done in as little as 10 gallons, yet most odd size tanks like the op's, while having a larger capacity are typically lacking in the footprint department compared to standard tanks.

Ooo, it looks like I'm at odds with other posts too, it's about time I guess lol. I am however in agreement that they were introduced way too early.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Darn it Brookster I don't know whether to say that you're right or wrong on the tank size. Can we just say both because of footprint differences? Rams can easily be done in as little as 10 gallons, yet most odd size tanks like the op's, while having a larger capacity are typically lacking in the footprint department compared to standard tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's simple chemistry, 12 gal is fine for you or.....m....e.....haha.. footprint boils down to territorial dispute at worst.. 12 gal of water in untrained hands is a sure concoction for dead rams.. I've killed 5! Yes 5... it's a learning process loaded with poor stock and witty lfs sellers.. even with my wealth of accumulated ram knowledge I would never subject them to 12 gal if water. It's simply to vulnerable.. 20 long, 5 months old.. nitrates under 20ppm and good stock... it's not rocket science. Most rams are doomed out the netting. They're all so colored up and tough they spend the entire time in the lfs tank like jersey shore and gnc is closed for the weekend...

There are some weird new tank foot prints. The wide screen 15 is like 30" x 8" . crazy stuff man.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

HEYY!!!!!!

Broo.. you know I'm right but it's all love.. MTV ruined your rep. Haha. Ill.be out there.for a wedding this summer, we can gtl

Broo.. you know I'm right but it's all love.. MTV ruined your rep. Haha. Ill.be out there.for a wedding this summer, we can gtl

at least we don't say "wicked pissah" :ROFLMAO: LOL

haha. all of those clowns from that show were all from staten island or Queens..we hated them being there, but the show was good for the local economy, it brought a lot of tourists there.

yea I'm down let me know.

How much larger are the gold fish in compairson to the other fish? Lots of fish will canablize on smaller fish if the size differental is great.

I accidentally said that once and made my friend back over my foot while he was pahcken his cahhhhh... show was gold and we all know it! I hate bud light;)

Back
Top Bottom