Dead Guppy Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gourami2012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought 3 guppies yesterday (2 female 1 male). I noticed when i got back home yesterday that the one female had a white fin and was only swimming with the other healthy one. This morning i awoke to find her dead and now my other female has this white film across her fins and tail. Also none of my fish will eat. What's going on?

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 53
Is your tank cycled? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

How did you acclimate the fish?

Gourami2012 said:
I bought 3 guppies yesterday (2 female 1 male). I noticed when i got back home yesterday that the one female had a white fin and was only swimming with the other healthy one. This morning i awoke to find her dead and now my other female has this white film across her fins and tail. Also none of my fish will eat. What's going on?

Looks that they are sick with fin rot... I found this in the Internet about fin rot:
"Not to hard to cure. Fish usually will live after treatments. Most common in the fancy varieties of goldfish, finrot can occur as a result of an injury, as a secondary infection once the fish has been weakened by another disease, or in some cases, as a primary infection (bacterial).

Finrot can be the result of a bacterial infection (which causes a more ragged rotting), or as a fungal infection (which rots the tail more evenly and is more likely to produce a white 'edge'). Sometimes, both types of infection are seen together. Infection is commonly brought on by bad water conditions, injury, poor diet, or outwintering fancy goldfish (who should live in warmer temperatures).

Finrot starts at the edge of the fins, and destroys more and more tissue until it reaches the fin base. If it does reach the fin base, the fish will never be able to regenerate the lost tissue. At this point, the disease may attack the fish's body directly."

You need to try to isolate them and try to treat them with both fungal and bacterial medicaments.

What other fish do you have in the tank? Is your tank fully cycled?

I was thinking finrot but have never experienced it. My tank has been cycled i transfered fish from this tank to another and they are all still alive and well. The filter has always been running with fish in the tank. I have got 3 silver tip tetras, 4 glowlights and a male betta with them.

Gourami2012 said:
I was thinking finrot but have never experienced it. My tank has been cycled i transfered fish from this tank to another and they are all still alive and well. The filter has always been running with fish in the tank. I have got 3 silver tip tetras, 4 glowlights and a male betta with them.

IMO they were sick from the Petsore, the stress going to your tank decreased their immune system and the fin rot took over.
But it is important also to check your water readings to confirm that the tank is properly cycled

Hopefully, it's not fin rot associated with columnaris. Guess you don't do quarantine, huh?

Watch for other signs like fuzzy spots and not eating. Columnaris can rip right through your tank if you're not watchful and if you don't take extreme measures.

Back
Top Bottom