Dead Shrimp... leave it???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a little cleaner shrimp that died. Should I just leave it in the tank for the rest of the animals to feast on or take it out?
The tank is a 7 gallon hex, it has a fiddler crab, 5 clear cleaner shrimp (not including the dead one :wink: ) and 2 apple snails.

Oh yeah. They'll eat it alright. But if it's lying around for a while, take it out...

Hi HOLLIEO,

What did it die from?
IMHO, if it died from some sort of disease, then I would get it out of there because the others risk a higher chance of contracting the same disease.

HTH

Actually I really think he over ate.... :roll:
See, what happened is...
I was out sick from work tuesday and wednesday. One of my co-workers thought that the animals in the tank needed to eat. :roll: Like two days without crap the critters were going to starve.
Well, it was a nice thought, but 2 sinking tablets and a bunch of fish flakes later.... the tank critters were gorged.
I guess I should post a little sign next to my tank that says "DO NOT FEED THE WILD ANIMALS" ha, ha :wink:

I would say leave it to the apple snails. Yesterday my crab severed his own leg when it got caught in the filter intake, and later on the apple snail was all over it. This morning the leg was gone! I don't know if the apple snail really ate it shell-and-all, (in fact I tend to suspect the 4" big-mouthed Polypterus), but he definitely gave it a go!

Back
Top Bottom