dead snail removal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phish7740

Aquarium Advice Activist
i found one of my large (2") snail dead, hasnt moved in a few days and well its not alive.

should i leave it in there for the crabs to eat?
or should i remove it. i cant get the body out of the shell with tweasers but i want to leave the shell available for the crabs to habitat some day.

thanks

I left 4 large turbo's in my tank for several days after they apparently died (back when I had a wicked temperature spike, in the first few weeks of cycling).

Finally pulled them out, and nearly spontaneously vomited from the smell.

If you think they're dead, and nothing's eating them, I'd remove them. Anything that smells that bad has got to be contributing a lot of water to the water.

Dont leave them in you tank if their dead. If you leave them their and their on the sand or anywhere it will start building up a white film and could / can start desises in your tank. If you want the shells just boil up the dead ones and take the dead snail out of the shell with a knife. Then you can do whatever you want with the shells.

i didnt realize i had some narrsious snails died (they were in the sand bed) and it fowled my water pretty bad. if you can save the shell, then save it, but if not, you can get some shells for the hermies when needed.

yea it stunk pretty bad when i ran it under tap water....the dead snail came right out...i wonder how long it will take for a crab to occupy it since my crabs are in much smaller shells. but they have plenty of inbetween sizes to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom