dealing with ick advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikib1989

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my 36 gallon tank for about a year. Never have had an issue until about 2 weeks ago when one of my neon tetras got really pale, lost it's blue and red stripe. I took him out and asap but didn't have another tank to put him in (used a pitcher) so after a day I put him back in and decided to do the ick guard treatment. Did it 3 days in a row ... Seemed to be getting better... Skipped a day or two and then that fish died. Few days later more of the Tetris have a big dot on tail and shredded fins
Now another type of tetra or barb not sure is looking pale. I've done the treatment again followed all instructions with water changes and removing filter. I am so lost with if I am actually dealing with ick or something else... Nervous doing this treatment is making the fish lethargic... They all seem not right
.. My heater is dumb and doesn't let you adjust the temp so I can't raise temperature. Everything I read says ick is tiny white dots.... Mine had a pretty big size dot.... Lost color and fin shred.... Some other fish do have tiny white dots as well though. Hellllpppppp

I've had my 36 gallon tank for about a year. Never have had an issue until about 2 weeks ago when one of my neon tetras got really pale, lost it's blue and red stripe. I took him out and asap but didn't have another tank to put him in (used a pitcher) so after a day I put him back in and decided to do the ick guard treatment. Did it 3 days in a row ... Seemed to be getting better... Skipped a day or two and then that fish died. Few days later more of the Tetris have a big dot on tail and shredded fins
Now another type of tetra or barb not sure is looking pale. I've done the treatment again followed all instructions with water changes and removing filter. I am so lost with if I am actually dealing with ick or something else... Nervous doing this treatment is making the fish lethargic... They all seem not right
.. My heater is dumb and doesn't let you adjust the temp so I can't raise temperature. Everything I read says ick is tiny white dots.... Mine had a pretty big size dot.... Lost color and fin shred.... Some other fish do have tiny white dots as well though. Hellllpppppp

Hi, we all start somewhere :)

Welcome to AA. Ich will look like white grains of salt. Ime it comes from adding new fish or plants (from store tank water). Had anything changed in the tank? They may also flash and rub gills, etc along gravel to try and remove ich spots. Are they flashing at all?

A pic would be best (may need mod approval so might take a little while to load).

Also included the link below for you to look through.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html

Did you remove the entire filter or just the carbon?

Do you have any water chemistry readings eg ammonia, ph, temp, nitrite and nitrates?

Have the fish been getting on well and not nipping each other?

Back
Top Bottom