Dearly departed (in amanner of speaking)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylvr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 60 gallon fresh water aquarium, recently discovered why the amonia level increased slightly/with fish behaving "differently". Neon tetra had passed away he/she chose a beautiful shell as his/her coffin, needles to say I could not find this little fish for days...I sat by the aquarium every day for 2 days, wondering if I had a sneaky plecco/panda catfish... who may of had the tetra for brkfst, lunch, or perhaps dinner?

Question is: how much water should be changed due to this? I did a 30%, hope it is sufficient for these guys to not have to remember the smell of their comrade.

Any comments/advice?

Im sure the fish don't mind being in the tank with a dead schoolmate lol.

Just test your ammonia levels, 30% seems good but the proof is in the pudding.. test ammo levels.

Welcome to the site!

If your tank is pretty well established it will convert the ammonia over rather quickly. However, PWCs are never a bad thing, so I'd even go 50% if it were me.

Hey welcome to AA. I leave dead shrimp in my tank for the other inhabitants to pick at. No problem at all.

As neil pointed out, if the tank is established it's even less likely that you'll have a problem, but PWC's cant hurt either.

GO ahead and test your ammonia or if you're lazy just go ahead adn do another large PWC (partial water change) anyway.

If the Ammonia is over 0.5ppm, then you would want to do a large enough water change to get the Ammonia reading under that level. Otherwise a nice large water change certainly won't hurt as long as the temp is matched and it's properly dechlorinated.

Back
Top Bottom