debate-bf wants more fish..i say more cleaners and inverts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ahhh..
So I am having yet another debate with my bf. He says we should add a baby niger trigger to our tank (?) instead of inverts after we take out two of the damsels.

I was going to place an order online for inverts such as 2 brittle starfish, purple urchin, 10 nassarius snails, decorator crab, and a shrimp..all reef safe for later, if I decide to go that route.

I am trying to tell him that we have too many fish already AND we just added the majestic angel a couple of weeks ago. (that I know is too large) I wanted to get my tank all clean, with algae and sand sifter critters and then MAYBE add one more fish later on in a month.

What do you think and who is right? (he asked me to ask you all for advice)

Please check out 'my info' for information about my tank. Oh..and I just added 10 more lbs of aquacultured florida LR yesterday.

:)
Courtney

I would skip the fish and add the inverts. Although, crab and reef should never be used in the same sentence. I'd skip the crab and get more shrimp instead. :)

Those triggers are known to re-aquascape your tank on their own. They can munch your LR as well. They are also agressive, so I would possibly be worried about your RG and firefish.

I would go with the cleaners also. I'd skip on the crab too. I have an emerald crab that was doing awesome in my reef but now he's starting to eat my leathers! :(

Good advice about the crabs..I am never getting one again. They eat everything, terrorize the fish AND eat all of my cleaner crew.

Oh no! BF says we don't need to do a PWC either and its been about 2 weeks! He says the water is fine, and so are the fish. I was about to do 5-10 gallons of ocean water.

What do you think?

(dont worry..he'll be reading this)

depending on how much LR you have, as well as bio-load, you should do a PWC every 3 weeks at least.

i dunno how much coral/LR?bio load you have in your tank so i cant judge, but if the waters dirty, dont put it on hold...

No, water looks very very clear. I put 10lbs of live rock in two nights ago. Got some debris falling off of it, but I just scooped out what I could. Oh..every three weeks? I thought it was sooner.

So I won't do a water change unless its every few weeks, lots of stuff floating around, or nitrites are high.

good?

I would do PWC's every week or two while your tank is new. Once it matures a little bit more I could see backing off to about once every 3-4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom