Deciding on a New Pleco. More importantly will it fit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd like another dwarf pleco in my tank preferably one with a pattern on it. I saw some clown pleco's yesterday and they looked great i read that driftwood is pretty essential for them though? also i'd like some oto cats probably 2.

Im quite close to my maximum of fish at the moment altho all 3 (dwarf pleco, 2 oto's) will all stay small.

Will it work with all 3?

I just picked up a Hillstream loach with it also called a butterfly plecto. There really good and look good in the tank. Shoudl try one of them. I guess there best kept with some numbers as well.

The otos are no problem. An additional pleco will increase your bioload so you must be willing to keep up with water changes. How are your nitrates now? If you clean your tank regularly and have no problem keeping your nitrates in check then adding a pleco may be fine. However if your nitrates are high now and you have trouble keeping them at ideal levels then I wouldn't add another pleco.

Some plecos get aggressive with one another if they feel they don't have enough territory so make sure the tank has enough hiding places for two plecos.

As for the hillstream loach....they are cool. I have one but they do best in cold water tanks with strong currents. Unfortunately I bought mine first and did the research later 8O While mine seems okay he hangs out on the bubble wall all day and hasn't grown much, if at all, since I've had him. They are not very pleco-like at all in my opinion. Hope that helps.

Try a rubberlip pleco. I bought one recently and I love him, he's a pretty busy little guy and has a unique look to him.

Yeah i read that pleco's generate quite a lot of waste.

Im not sure what will happen to the nitrate levels with another pleco in town.
The levels are ok now and i think i have quite a good balance. I do think that my filter is dealing with a slight challenge with the nitrate levels but nothing it cant handle with regular water changes.

My pleco hides in my colloseum ruin with my big yoyo loach but when the 2nd yoyo comes in most of the time he makes him exit.

There are some granite rocks and the small yoyo sometimes hides behind the filter which a new pleco could occupy.

I think i want some oto's first though as these are active algae eaters, shouldnt be a problem with waste levels and because i already have a pleco.
Saying that i thought my pleco would be an active algae eater and he isnt.
Also my pleco may react to a new pleco aggressively. I think he feels its "his tank"

Back
Top Bottom