Deep Blue Solarmax T5 set up - what bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hooperman42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon long with a 30 inch light set up with dual T5's HO at 24 watts each. Has the usual 10K daylight and the actinic "blue". I just got this which is nice but I hear the bulbs dont last. I am considering going with two daylight bulbs but if wondering if it will look too yellow. What brands will fit this fixture does anyone know? I read that Coralite does not work and I tried a Zoo today and it didnt light. They look to be the same T5 lights. But for whatever reason this one didnt light. Anyone using this unit with any other bulbs. And if I do all daylight what will it look like. It is a planted tank. Any inpout would be welcome. Love the unit but really looking for that super brite crystal clear white light bright lighting. Thanks! on my first post! Hoopman

yes thanks it was simply a bad bulb that would not work previously I took it back and now it appears any T5 HO will work. I put in the 10K from Zoo and it looks a bit nicer than what I had and still using the blue one that came with the unit. I will check out the one you posted now. Thank you! I am looking for that crystal clear bright tank but since its freshwater and planted Id like to see the color pop a bit more than what I have it still appears a tad yellow with this bulb. Even though its daylight 10K t5 HO. Not really family with this bulb but it is slightly better than the one that came with it (also daylight 10K). when you go up from say 6700 to 10K is it whiter? So if I went higher than 10K would it look crisper? thanks all!!!!!

By the way if you were running a two light system would you get two of these or stay with just one then use my Actinic 420 that I am using now with it. Since it appears to cast both white and blue was wondering if it might pop nicer with simply two of the ones you suggested vs. the ATI and Actinic. thioughts????????? Do you have pics using this bulb by chance and what do you use it with?????? Want bright as mentioned but some really color depth too. Am I asking too much? :)

you could use both aquablues and the tank will look nice and white. yes, the higher the K you go, the bluer the lamp. i find 12k to appear white to the naked eye.
no, i don't have any pictures to show you but i'm sure you can find many folks on here that have seen it in person. i have never used a 2 lamp fixture. i mostly use 6 and 8 lamp fixtures, and i use the ATI aquablue specials as my daylight lamps, because like you said, the 10k and below look yellow.

Doug -
This is kind of a side topic, but I remember a thread where you suggested different bulb combinations to really make the corals pop. giving the tank that "avatar" look. What would you suggest for a 6 bulb t5 fixture?

Back
Top Bottom