Deep sand bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are the benefits of these? The downside in that in a biocube it looks really ugly:( is there a reason I should stay shallow or go deep?

I have always heard they need a huge area (like a 40breeder fuge) to be effective at all. You also risk toxic gas production since their whole purpose is to borderline on anoxic conditions.

I don't think they are needed either. I didn't have one but still had undetectable nitrate. I had about 3 pounds of live rock per gallon though.

No problem. I'm going to be moving in the spring and when I do I'm thinking of a DSB.

Fishguy2727 said:
I have always heard they need a huge area (like a 40breeder fuge) to be effective at all. You also risk toxic gas production since their whole purpose is to borderline on anoxic conditions.

I don't think they are needed either. I didn't have one but still had undetectable nitrate. I had about 3 pounds of live rock per gallon though.

I don't think they need a 40 breeder to be effective. Obviously the more area it has the more effective it will be. Also, the toxic gas is kept at the lowest layer, only way to disturb it would be some kind of burrowing goby. If you read the link it explains how it works. I also don't have one and don't think they're absolutly needed. Just a different way of keeping a reef.

Back
Top Bottom