deer antler in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so me and my girlfreind redecorated her tank today and she put a deer antler in the tank and it looks real good but were wondering what it will do to her calcium levels in the tank its about 5years old and we cleaned it with hot water and soap and rinsed it off real good but wondering if anybody else has done somthing similar or if anybody has an idea what it will do to the water thanks

Soap is very bad for fish is what they were saying. Any kind of soap in an aquarium can be very bad for fish, nothing that goes in your fish tank should ever be cleaned with soap. Some people use a bleach solution to clean things, or you can try boiling it like Abraham said.

anyways dose anybody think the antler it self will cause problems with the water balance its in a tank with a black bullhead and a vary small crayfish(for now till the bullhead finds him) do you think it will start breaking down in the water

thanks

thank you vary much dkpate both thoes links were vary helpfull and gave me the answers i was looking for.

Boil it, use a scrubbing pad or wand and scrub the crud off, if its a drop then just boil and scrub then put in tank, if its from a live kill then you must soak it for about a week in water the first day in scalding hot near boiling water to get the marrow and blood out of the antlers. I just did a drop today and its in the tank already, and have a young 1yo bucks skull w/ antlers soaking in a bucket of boiling water outside to loosen the flesh and get the brain and stuff out.

I did a full elk skull w/ antlers for a 250gLong tank for my buddy, 5 years later w/ no cleaning looks great still.

2cnbleb.jpg

2d0z48n.jpg

Just an 8pt basket bruiser drop, saw the buck this past weekend while hunting. Smart animals I will admit that much.

Back
Top Bottom