Defrosted frozen bloodworms still good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I defrosted some frozen bloodworms and was preparing for a feeding, but then a friend called and said she left her medication at my house and really needed it, so I put the worms in the fridge and ran out, but my car broke down on the way back and it took two hours to get home. Are the worms still ok or should I throw them out?

If you put them in the fridge they should have been fine for 24 hours, after that I toss them. I feed them to my betta and unthaw enough for two meals, supper than next morning breakfast and if there are still some left I will give him some for supper again , then toss any more that are left. I do keep them in the fridge during that time . I also do the same thing with frozen baby brine shrimp. Alison

If you put them in the fridge they should have been fine for 24 hours, after that I toss them. I feed them to my betta and unthaw enough for two meals, supper than next morning breakfast and if there are still some left I will give him some for supper again , then toss any more that are left. I do keep them in the fridge during that time . I also do the same thing with frozen baby brine shrimp. Alison

Thanks! I decided to play it safe and just tossed it. It's just that it was the last of my frozen bloodworms and I couldn't run out and get more. I just made meal time a repeat of the day before instead. (I try to switch it up with a 3 day cycle) Thanks though :) Now I know for next time!

Frozen foods will stay perfectly safe in the fridge for a few days at least. Treat them the same way as you should people food.

Up to 1 week in cold temperatures. If they sit at above 40 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 hours or more then they need to be tossed.

They can also be refrozen as long as they didn't sit out long enough to spoil, the fridge would have kept them well enough for that.

Back
Top Bottom