Deionized water ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vette Pro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can I use deionized water to start my salt water aquarium? I have deionized and RO water but the RO is very time consuming to get 150 gals.
What would the reason for not using deionized water be, if there is one?

ryguy said:
Ideally, you want both RO and DI water.
I'm putting a 150 gal fish / reef aquarium with a 75 gal refugium below in the lobby of my shop.
I have a deionizing system for washing customers cars. I can get RO water from a source close by. I have no way to do both. Which would be better, or should I mix?
Thanks

What I meant was a water produced by a RO/DI filter system.

something like this

You can then hook a float switch to the RO/DI to be placed in your sump/fuge that will keep you constantly topped off to counteract evaporation. Otherwise, you'll be adding water by hand every couple of days.

I think a RO/DI is a GREAT investment along with a good skimmer, as well :)

Vette Pro said:
I have a deionizing system for washing customers cars.
You already essentially have a ro/di unit in your deionizing system. I assume you have that to keep spots off the cars :D

Have you ever tested your water with a TDS Meter?

have you tested for nitrates, phosphates, silicates.. these are important things to check for, your TDS may be low but you can still have high PO4..

Got a good skimmer.
I have the DI system at the shop to keep the spots off all those new Vettes.
It works great.
I just figured that it would be the fast way to fill the tank. The RO would take forever.
I'll get all the test kits I'll need and check it out this week.
I'll get the RO/DI setup after I get it up and running.
Thanks

Actually, a lot of pretty well known EXPERIENCED reefers (Anthony Calfo immediately comes to mind) prefer DI over RO due to not just time, but the incredible waste produced from RO water. It's somewhat like, 7 gallons waste water to 1 gallon useable water. I think it depends on your filtration which would be better for you, and also on your source water. If you only have a few contaminants, and you run a powerful skimmer and a true DSB (5 inches or deeper) then you can get away with DI water, no doubt. Thousands of commercial and private aquaculturists do exactly this. If however, you have a lot of heavy contaminants, RO/DI is the superior, if more costly and time consuming, way. And remember, your filtration is only as good as your filters. Gotta keep up on those resin changes!

Back
Top Bottom