Desktop aquarium planted journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased the top fin 3.5 gallon aquascene 180 view aquarium for my betta as he wasn't very community friendly and I wanted to add some more fish to my 10 gallon tank. It is an acrylic tank with 4 led color light 10 different came with a filter and cartridge sounds great right. Well the filter doesn't have a bio filter... so I do very frequent water changes about 25% twice a week an one 50% is that to much? It currently is home to a betta and a zebra nitrate snail. It is a bare bottom tank and has some camboba a java fern some drift wood with java moss and duckweed some rocks and a dragon decoration that my boyfriend oh so graciously bought for this tank on my birthday so you know can't not use it right that would be rude... I'm looking for some suggestions to make this tank look better and maybe add some more plants. Also should I add substrate ill have some flourite available soon? It does sit in my window so it gets direct sunlight. Also an opinion on water changes/getting a bio filter.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This tank needs your help

Attachments

• 1407436592039.jpg
    1407436592039.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 78
Also any idea what's wrong with my java fern? I have it lightly tied to a rock with some fishing line it gets API CO2 booster everyday also gets instructed dose of seachem flourish...

Attachments

• 1407436801091.jpg
    1407436801091.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 72
I would get a new filter, like an aquaclear 20 because it has 3 stage filtration, but double up on bio. I would also get sand for the bottom. Pool filter sand is a nice option for sand. As for the lighting, I would just buy a light and put it over the tank, like an led so it does not heat up the tank, causing temperature fluctuations. Get a small heater too, as bettas are tropical fish, prefering water of about 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit. About what you asked for water changes, 50% weekly would be good for the well being of the fish. Good luck!

Also any idea what's wrong with my java fern? I have it lightly tied to a rock with some fishing line it gets API CO2 booster everyday also gets instructed dose of seachem flourish...

Maybe the lighting is causing it, Im not sure there.

I looked into getting a new filter but with the tank I'm not sure how it would sit as its a very small tank and the edges are made for the filter light and accessories that come with it. It has specific notches for the filter and light. I do plan on getting a heater but I dont have central air and its hot here for now so none of my tanks have heaters running and the stay between 76-80 degrees all the time. Sadly I new light is not an option as i have a cat and I need the hood for this tank and since its a half circle shape I dont believe finding one will be an option so this will be a low light tank. The light is LED? Could I use my flourite I have some left over and would rather not have to buy PFS....

Maybe the lighting is causing it, Im not sure there.

Maybe i can add a desktop light as I have to keep the hood on this tank... but it wouldn't be direct as its a solid black hood...

Java Ferns like to be cut and grow back. I would try cutting off the leaves (as close to the rhizome as you can) that are getting the dark patches and giving it some decent light. What grows in afterwards will probably look pretty nice unless you have some nutrient deficiencies in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright I'll try it thanks:) does sunlight allow sufficient lighting? If not how could I get lighting for this tank desktop light with a 6500k bulb?

Also i was thinking about doing a java moss carpet. Should I use the flourite substrate also?

And I would like to add a bottom dweller to my tank could I or is 3.5g to small? I was thinking maybe an ADF?

For a tank that size I wouldn't bother with the fluorite substrate. Unless you were really going to pack the bottom with a lot of root feeding plants. Java Moss is easy to grow. You could tie it to some flat rocks or onto some pieces of mesh to make a grass-like carpet on the bottom. YouTube has some good videos on how to do this.

As far as bottom feeders go, you might be able to get away with some Pygmy corydoras, but anything else would be too big, IMO.

Oh and sunlight is great lighting but generally not recommended for tanks because you could end up with an algae problem, unless you have some blinds or some way to limit it to less than 8-10 hours per day. And yes, 6500k bulbs are good for growing plants.

For a tank that size I wouldn't bother with the fluorite substrate. Unless you were really going to pack the bottom with a lot of root feeding plants. Java Moss is easy to grow. You could tie it to some flat rocks or onto some pieces of mesh to make a grass-like carpet on the bottom. YouTube has some good videos on how to do this.

As far as bottom feeders go, you might be able to get away with some Pygmy corydoras, but anything else would be too big, IMO.

Oh and sunlight is great lighting but generally not recommended for tanks because you could end up with an algae problem, unless you have some blinds or some way to limit it to less than 8-10 hours per day. And yes, 6500k bulbs are good for growing plants.

I was thinking about the flourite bc I like the look and I'm moving my 10 gallon planted tank with flourite to a 29 gallon tank so I thought I could just move it to this tank. Plus I thought about maybe adding an anubias or two and my others took off with the flourite.

I can limit the amount of daylight luckily:) I do know that sunlight can create an algae problem so I will be adding a few more nitrite snails to try and help with that.

I do believe pygmy cories would be to big since they have to be in shoals of 5+ but you can keep ADF by themselves but I'll look into it more. Maybe once the plants fill in I'll try some shrimp?

Also need some ideas for my scape if anyone has any

Back
Top Bottom