Destroyed crawdad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bully405Customz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a blue crawdad in my 55 gal and woke up this morning to a murder scene. What could have done something like this? The tank has 4 angels, 2 peacock eels, a featherfin cat, dinosaur birchir, leaf fish, and a fairly small brown knife that I'm just holding until my friends tank cycles.

Are you saying the cray was dead?

Stupid question...Did it possibly just molt and you are seeing old shell?

Mine will go into hiding after molting. I once thought he got out of the tank until I finally found him buried in the plants.

Edit: I think the birchir may eat inverts...How big is he?

Last edited:
He's dead. Lol the dinosaur is just a juvie and only about 4 inches long, the cray was about 2 or 3 inches long give or take.

He's dead. Lol the dinosaur is just a juvie and only about 4 inches long, the cray was about 2 or 3 inches long give or take.
that looks a lot like my crayfishes moults do,take it out and check if theres flesh in it. but if it is the moult put it back in,they eat it

that looks a lot like my crayfishes moults do,take it out and check if theres flesh in it. but if it is the moult put it back in,they eat it

I agree. Mine leaves the same carcass behind. I bet he is just hidden. Mine tends to stay hidden for a day or two after molting.

How long have you had the cray? Has he ever molted? If he has never molted, I am willing to bet he is in there somewhere hidden.

Last edited:
I read that inverts tend to hide after a molt because their new exoskeleton is still soft. They will eat their old molts to get some of the neutrients back into their system.

You guys are right! We found him hiding! I'm glad he's not dead, we were gonna miss him. We've had him for a few months and he hadnt ever done that. We've never had one before either

I agree. Mine leaves the same carcass behind. I bet he is just hidden. Mine tends to stay hidden for a day or two after molting.

mine stays hidden for a while to,great pic btw,mine never turn out clear

How long have you had the cray? Has he ever molted? If he has never molted, I am willing to bet he is in there somewhere hidden.

Truely a unique shed, devistating if you don't know it's a molt.

Back
Top Bottom