Destructive Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got this crayfish that keeps rearranging the tank. I've heard about crayfish rearranging things before, and that its mostly just natural behaivor, but I am wondering if there is anything that can be done about it? My 10 gallon is like a terrarium and is half full of water with a filter acting as a little waterfall over a rock. My crayfish likes to uproot the anachris plants and it looks like he is eating them. Every time I come home the anachris plants are floating or in the hands of the crayfish. Is there anything I can do to save them? I also have some little radican sword but he hasn't gone after it.........yet.

As of this morning he has taken all of the plants in the 10 gallon behind his litle rock and is munching away. I am giving him worms and sinking pellets, but he still goes for all of the plants. I am not very worried about my 10 gallon, but I was planning on putting him in the 28.

The crayfish is going after my goldfish, and his tailfins are ripped slightly. Is there anyone on this site that can offer me advice about my crayfish?

well i wouldnt put a crayfish with any type of fish. If he can catch it he will eat it, despite how much you think you are feeding him. Also...goldfish are somewhat messy and water needs to be perfect when they moult, so that could end up killing your crayfish.
Now for your plants...Ive never really had too many plants in my crayfish tank, but he leaves the grassy plants alone (hair grass, etc). I dont know what to tell you though? If youve already tried weights to hold the plants down, then maybe you should consider a plant-less tank.

He could catch the fish while it's asleep. It's generally just not good to keep anything with crayfish, from what I've found.

i had a bit of luck with guppies and yabbies but they need lots of things hide in. but still i have given up on having my yabby with fish, i cant even get the dam thing to live with other yabbies. I had 3 now i hav 1.

Back
Top Bottom