dH and Gh? Are they the same?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Trying to get a better grasp on KH to GH I'm reading and see this:

0 - 4 dH, 0 - 70 ppm : very soft
4 - 8 dH, 70 - 140 ppm : soft
8 - 12 dH, 140 - 210 ppm : medium hard
12 - 18 dH, 210 - 320 ppm : fairly hard
18 - 30 dH, 320 - 530 ppm : hard
higher : liquid rock (Lake Malawi and Los Angeles, CA)

IS the dH (degrees hardness) the same as GH?

I am trying to interpret my readings on a conductivity meter that doesn't output ppm... it outputs micro seimens so I'm using this conversion: 1GH = 17.9 ppm = 33 micro siemens

Well, how does dH play into all this?

Thanks

AND if dH IS the same as gH then can I go ahead and make this statement to include microseimens and not be butchering science?

0 - 4 dH, 0 - 70 ppm : 0-132 microseimens very soft
4 - 8 dH, 70 - 140 ppm : 132- 264 soft
8 - 12 dH, 140 - 210 ppm : 264 - 396 medium hard
12 - 18 dH, 210 - 320 ppm : 396 - 594 fairly hard

Thanks for the reading. I read through it and tried my best to understand the stuff I didn't. What I concluded was that depending on the salt in your water it can mess up the readings. So now I ponder, in RO water would it give accurate readings because there is no salt?

RO water would probably have a capacitance near 0 uS/cm, so it's not a problem. "Salt" in this case refers to any ionic compound, and salt content refers to the relative amounts of Ca++, K+, Na+, Mg++, NO3-, Cl-, CO3--, etc, in the solution. Because it's hard to control, you can't really translate capacitance into direct measurements of concentration very well in most circumstances.

Aquachem, I know you'll be able to answer this better than anyone. Why did I buy a conductivity meter that reads microseimens? Haha... Seriously though... I think it was a hundred bucks... A tds meter is $15 :) what benefit is my conductivity meter or have I simply made a huge financial mistake :)? Any input since you actually know the difference between these meters...

Well, I thought when I got into this that that was the instrument needed to test the softness of freshwater best.

When I bought it I read on Hanna Instruments website regarding their conductivity meter "This precision instrument is perfect for serious discus keepers who add trace elements to pure water to achieve a reading of about 70 µS. Also useful for determining membrane effectiveness of reverse osmosis units. Regular tap water measures about 300-500 µS; good quality RO water measures 5-15 µS."

Well, that was my goal. I wanted some good RO water for Discus.

Thing is now that I have read the documentation you've provided me it almost seems that a cheap TDS meter does the same thing, if not more accurately.

I mean what is the advantage of taking a reading in microsiemens since it doesn't necessarily convert to ppm because of a variety of factors? It seems to me that everyone spouting off numbers always is doing so in ppm.

Does microsiemens read the content of the water, if interpreted correctly, in a more detailed way?

So I DID get a $15 tds meter off amazon and I'm pretty sure I didn't need the conductivity meter as the tds meter does exactly what I need. I'm still confused as to why anyone needs the conductivity meter rather than the tds meter...

Back
Top Bottom