Diagnose my guppy????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitekat87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought a new guppy yesterday and when it was in the shop looked absolutely fine, I have been going to the stir for about 10 years and never had a problem before.

However today I have noticed it has a patch of what looks like a whitish slime on its head and it refuses to use it right fin.

I have been treating the tank with melafix because I have introduced the fish anyway, should I just carry on with that???

The other two guppies in tank aren't showing any similar symptoms as yet. The tank is fairly new although it has been through its cycle. The nitrite is slightly above 0.

Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• image-1116216623.jpg
    image-1116216623.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 63
Looking down at the spot makes it bit difficult to tell what exactly it is. Is it stringy/fuzzy or a white film? Do you have somewhere you can qt him? I know your options for treating fish in the UK are very limited. I believe you may a product called Myaxin available (antibacterial) or you can try methylene blue. From what I understand, myaxin is about as ineffective as melafix, however. You can also try aq salt at .1% salinity (1tsp/g)- I believe these guys can tolerate it but I may be wrong here. Ill let someone else clarify this.

It's more like a white film. He seems to be getting worse as the night goes on, he's not swimming very well and he is constantly at the surface.

I've removed the carbon from the filter and have treated both pimafix and melafix, they are all I have in at the moment

So my guppy didn't make it but fingers crossed the others aren't showing any signs of illness. Just done a 50% water change and will keep treating with pimafix and melafix

Back
Top Bottom