Diary of my first saltwater tank...Awesome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really love how everything is set up. My only problem is my sand gets blown around by all the current I have and it ends up settling on the rock. Everyonce in a while I have to pick up the rocks, turn them upside down so the sand falls off of them, then put them back.

Speakerman said:
I really love how everything is set up. My only problem is my sand gets blown around by all the current I have and it ends up settling on the rock. Everyonce in a while I have to pick up the rocks, turn them upside down so the sand falls off of them, then put them back.
Just point the phs up a little and that should help.

Aight I moved them a bit, we will see how that goes.

I just noticed that on the hoses going to and from my sump, where the light down there hits them 24/7 I've got tons of green and purple coraline algea growing in conjunction with the diatoms. Looks pretty cool. Can't wait till the diatoms die and the coraline takes over completely.

Well I got my 175 W metal Halide and installed it. That thing is sooo sick....It's rediculous how much brighter it is. I'll get a pic up of it tomorrow because right now they are off.

I also built a new sump for it and installed that. It's a much better design that my other one and really utilizes all the space available in my stand. I was able to put my skimmer down there and shove a lot of live rock rubble down there. I really need a lot more...but it'shard to find LR rubble around here. My local supplier has it for 99 cents a lb but she is out...I need about 20 lbs of it of more....I'll need about 50 lbs of it for my 125 and the 55 gallon sump I built for it.

Does anybody know anything about a diamond goby? I want to add one to aid in sand sifting. My sand has a lot of waste on it/in it.

EDIT!!!!!

Okay check it out, here are the pics with the old light...which was a 40 W 10,000 K

2070368_207_full.jpg

Here is a pic with the new light. It's a 175 W retro fit metal halide 14,000k. Everything is much happier...but I'm getting some more diatom growth. Although the purple and green coraline is taking off also.

2070368_209_full.jpg

Can you tell the difference? lol

Okay so I started getting coraline growth. The rocks that do have it have very defined spots where the coraline is growing. I'm also getting a lot of green and purple growth on rocks that didn't have any...or rocks that had dead coraline. So I'm pretty happy about that.

I got a new fish for it today since my clown passed...I also made some grates for the power heads so that wouldn't happen again...poor dude...

here is a pic of the new Naso Tang or Lipstick Tang.

2070368_210_full.jpg

No bag floating only takes care of temperature. I slowly add more and more tank water to acclimate to the different SG of my tank.

My clown died from being sucked up into a powerhead. Not from being poorly acclimated or poor water quality...If that's what your wondering...I made some grates for them so nothing could get in there again.

Anyway, here is a link on how to correctly acclimate your fish. Although pretty much everybody does it different, as we all have our own ways of doing things.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18

BTW that is a bad picture of the Tang. He was sleeping when I took that. lol...

i always drip acclimate fish !!!!

p.s. very sorry to hear about ARRON .

keep up the good work , looks awsome !!!!

oldfishear - out !!!

I love the drip, it takes longer but is much easier. I just start the drip and go about doing whatever else i need to do.

Holy geeze guys....I went to class today and came back home and DIATOMS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

The only thing I changed was the light. WOW dudes....Diatoms everywhere...I guess I will just have to let them do their thing untill they die....At least its not HA or something....

From what I understand, the diatoms with come and stay for a month or so and then start dieing off correct...and the process goes quicker if I leave it along and don't clean them off...is this correct?

I mean it's bad...

Oh yeah he is a character to say the least. I love it when he jumps from rock to rock...Also he just moves around eating all day. Pretty awesome.

here is a pic of the new Naso Tang or Lipstick Tang
Sorry dude, very poor choice for your tank. This fish, and tangs in general, require a much larger tank.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=357
What happened to the clown? I would be very hesitant to add anything else until you figure that out. I can appreciate your enthusiasm but please slow down and research your fish BEFORE you add them. Impulse buys at the pet store are one of the biggest temptations in this hobby. Develope a stocking list before hand and stick to it.

lando said:
here is a pic of the new Naso Tang or Lipstick Tang
Sorry dude, very poor choice for your tank. This fish, and tangs in general, require a much larger tank.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=357
What happened to the clown? I would be very hesitant to add anything else until you figure that out. I can appreciate your enthusiasm but please slow down and research your fish BEFORE you add them. Impulse buys at the pet store are one of the biggest temptations in this hobby. Develope a stocking list before hand and stick to it.

I wish people would keep to themselves when it comes to this. Or at least ask more questions before coming to a conclusion about somebody across the country or world who you don't even know.

Oh look here, I just happen to be setting up a 125 gallon www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=87755

Plus what would you rather have happen? Me buy the tang and give it as best a home as I can provide, or either it sits in the tank at the crappy lfs and dies, or somebody who has absolutely no idea what they are doing buys it and it dies. Hmm....welll...let me see...

I figure it's 3 inches long right now, and he will be fine in this tank for several months before he goes into a much larger tank.

No those are not ick spots. I took that picture when he was sleeping. The lights were off and when they sleep, like most fish, they alter their colors a bit. This one happens to have spots when it's sleeping. If it does develope ick, it's going to get dipped.

As for my Clown...Arron got sucked up into one of my powerheads...poor dude... I was out of town that day and when I got home I couldn't find him anywhere....I checked behind the tank and on the ground...then checked inside the powerheads and there he was...He lived for a day after...but died in the night. That was a really bad day for me...

Perhaps you can provide more info about your plans when you post about fish you are putting in a tank, that you know is way too small, and prevent this from happening. Lando was just trying to look out for you and the fish, so I don't see a reason to get an attitude about it.

By the way, I like your rockscaping.

Back
Top Bottom