Diary of the 29G planted tank... New pics 4/28/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update...
The female is protecting wigglers. That is for sure. And lots of them. :)

Did my weekly 50% PWC today, and dosed the tank. Ready for another week, all's looking great. :)

Edit:
Here's some new pics....
29g68.jpg

29g69.jpg

29g70.jpg

Edit:

More pics...... This is the stand-off.... The female standing guard, the male peeking over the corkscrew vals. If he get's any closer, she bolts at him, lol.
29g71.jpg

The male peeking.....
29g72.jpg

The female standing guard...
29g73.jpg

The male still peeking....
29g74.jpg

That's to funny. That's like my moma krib she will lay and wait for something to get close to her fry then it's like a bull shark attacking his pray. LOL

And the male just sits there for hours watching the wigglers, lol.

Edit:
Update....
I couldn't just sit here any longer, lol. I moved some of the Bolivian wigglers to the 10G with the GBR's. I figured that if the Bolivians decided to eat them, would have to wait 3 or 4 more weeks before I get more. So this will give me a nice amount of fry to raise. Most of the Bolivians are still wigglers, spinning around on the bottom with their eggsacks. But some are free-swimming as well. I now have about 80 total in my 10G, maybe more. Will let the female Bolivian raise the rest that's in the 29G.

How old are the GBR fry? Have you started feeding them yet? It should be interesting to raise two different types of fry together.

The fry are about 4 days old now. Yes, I'm feeding them an egg yolk solution. It's quite fun to watch. Some of the bolivians are fry now, and most are wigglers still, with a little egg sack still keeping them on the bottom. But it won't be long til they are free-swimming. I just mix some egg yolk from a hard boiled egg in water til it's all dissolved, and use an eye dropper to feed them. As for the fry food I bought, it's too big for them to eat, lol.

Edit:
Looks like the few remaining wigglers and fry are gone this morning, and the female is with the males, and the one male is already trying to get her to spawn, lol. Back to the normal routine. :)

Re: Bamboo...

I don't know whether or not it will hurt the fish, but I do know that, as it is not a true aquatic, it will eventually begin to rot below water.

It might be ok for some time, but eventually it will go bad...

I wonder how much attention the Rams will pay the otos once they spawn again.

Hopefully none - otos have great little personalities...

Update:

Not much new on this front either. Things have definitely slowed down. I don't think the female is quite ready to drop eggs yet. Will be a couple more weeks at least, if things progress like they have been.

Update:

Disaster strikes once again. I had added some plants a week ago, and thought things were going pretty good. But then the plants started going downhill a bit. Probably because I'm not injecting CO2 yet in this tank. Well, I got home from work today and what do I see? Nothing but algae galore. It is badddddd. I just got done with some cleanup, running my diatom filter the last hour or so, but it was nasty. No greenwater though. All the plants, driftwood, and everything else was caked with algae. And the green spot algae on the front glass was so bad, you could hardly see in. Guess I should have pulled the plants when I thought things were going downhill. So I tossed most of those plants, but left the few small ones that look like new growth coming out of the gravel. Will see if they will spread from there. But other than that, I'm just having bad luck with this tank. lol.

But a cool thing did happen. When I was wiping off the driftwood a little bit, one of the otos came and sat on the driftwood and watched me, lol. He did run off either. Just sat and watched me scrub the algae off the top of it. I was moving it around and everything, and he just sat and watched, lol. Was so cool for an oto to do that. :)

Update:

Still struggling with algae, but now with LaMottes test kits, I'm hoping to get a handle on this. But here's some new pics of my tank. The small swords are the new plantlets from the 75G. Pretty awsome, hey? They are in need of root tabs, other than that, they are fine. Should be getting the tabs here soon.

29g77.jpg

29g78.jpg

29g79.jpg

Those Bolivians are so pretty! I hope to get a male for my girl soon. They are so colorful!

The tank looks great also. Very healthy plants. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

Lonewolfblue said:
But a cool thing did happen. When I was wiping off the driftwood a little bit, one of the otos came and sat on the driftwood and watched me, lol. He did run off either. Just sat and watched me scrub the algae off the top of it. I was moving it around and everything, and he just sat and watched, lol. Was so cool for an oto to do that. :)
My otos are funny. They don't mind my hands in the tank at all. For a species that spends so much time hiding, they don't have much fear when out.

I'm pretty sure you looked through the whole thread, lol, but just thought I'd post one more pic. This is the best pic I've taken of my Bolivians. Male on left, female on right.

75g238.jpg

And the female standing guard over the free-swimmers...

75g108.jpg

Beautiful! Do females color up when a male is around? It seems like a dumb question, but I'm hoping that when I add a male to my tank, my female will look that stunning.

JustOneMore20 said:
Beautiful! Do females color up when a male is around? It seems like a dumb question, but I'm hoping that when I add a male to my tank, my female will look that stunning.
Water conditions, comfort, food, and lighting can also affect the fish's appearance. I find fish in a planted aquaria have much better colors, which I attribute to better water quality and reduced stress.

She does color up during spawning, and when she's got fry. After that, she's not as colorful, but still nice looking.

Very nice pics there LWB. In the last pic, the female gaurding the fry, priceless. Good luck with the algea to by the way! 8)

I have to agree with everyone, those pictures are amazing ^^ Especially the first one, its like the perfect picture to show off Bolivians and gender differences. You ought to try and get that into a fish species guide ^^

Back
Top Bottom