Diatom Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this Diatom on my aqua fern?

Sorry for poor quality, hope you can make it out! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426729952.567170.jpg

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

It could be? Hard to tell....some of it looks rather bushy and could be black beard algae? Diatoms will feel kind of slimy and come off really easy with light rubbing...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe. It's really hard to tell in that picture. Does it rub off?

From the picture, it looks like it could be something else. Try spot treating with excel and see what happens.

Ill try to get a better pic tonight. Its tough because its at the back of the tank which is against the wall. It does come off fairly easily.

If it comes off and looks like dust it's probably diatoms. I had a MAJOR bloom (everything was solid brown!!) in my 90 gallon when I upgraded my lighting and after a month or two of dusting off the glass and my plants during frequent small water changes they went away. They aren't usually long lasting and will go away.

If it comes off and looks like dust it's probably diatoms. I had a MAJOR bloom (everything was solid brown!!) in my 90 gallon when I upgraded my lighting and after a month or two of dusting off the glass and my plants during frequent small water changes they went away. They aren't usually long lasting and will go away.

Thanks for the input! I still cant tell if its diatom or Black Bear...ill try to get a better picture up here tonight!

Blackbeard algae looks like a long, scraggly beard....I didn't know for a long time either- but that's the best analogy I have for it lol! ;)

Blackbeard algae looks like a long, scraggly beard....I didn't know for a long time either- but that's the best analogy I have for it lol! ;)

Well its not long, so hopefully its just Diatom from being a new tank...one can hope anyways

I bet it is- since its new especially ;)

This help? Still not the greatest, its in a tough spot to get a pic! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426822179.174031.jpg

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Still pretty out of focus, but it looks flat to me- not bushy like beard algae can get....so I would say diatoms at this point. Another thing is, beard algae you have to tear off, sometimes tearing leaves with it- so if it's just rubbing off with your finger tips, it's diatoms :)

Water changes and good tank maintenance will get rid of it in time!

Back
Top Bottom