Diatom Outbreak, NO END IN SIGHT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i also had a green floating (possible bacterial) problem, i could only see the fish if they got up to the glass and a hazy shadow as my sailfin swam in front of the lights. i did two thirty gallon changes in four days and i also got a couple of sally lightfoot crabs (microalgae enemy :D ), i thought it was getting lighter just because i was diluting the algae water with the other. so then... did a twenty gallon water change. and i also added the finest filter pad i could find in my wet dry, added a very fine sponge in my drainflow box, phos-x (even though my phosphates were barely registering--i figured it couldn't hurt.) and did 1 charge of diatomaceous earth through a--you guys are gonna love this-- a wet/dry vac filter bag 8.99 at lowes and lasts a lot longer than media bags. i couldn't find any diatom filters in any pet stores so i stuffed the DE filled bag in to my seaclone skimmers vortex chamber-- figured the darn thing should be good for something since it doesn't skim worth a darn. :? just now starting to see the front of my live rock a distance of about four inches in :x waited a couple of day and did a 15 gallon water change would've done more but bottom of salt barrel. waited two days and then went to the store to get yet more salt on payday evening. next day went to turn on the lights and noticed that now could i not only see my liverock, i could see bits of the back of the tank and the airbubbles from my airstone instead of the usual green cloud.

two days after this miracle and i can't even tell that i have water in the tank, i have to look for the airbubbles and listen to the filters :D

persevearance and creativity, i was going to try cutting a wet dry vacs filter core in half and flattening it out or coiling it inside my seaclone next. it's the same type filter as in the magnum canister, the one that polishes the water. but at only 6.99 a filter at lowe's it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

good luck to you,

i also had a green floating (possible bacterial) problem, i could only see the fish if they got up to the glass and a hazy shadow as my sailfin swam in front of the lights. i did two thirty gallon changes in four days and i also got a couple of sally lightfoot crabs (microalgae enemy :D ), i thought it was getting lighter just because i was diluting the algae water with the other. so then... did a twenty gallon water change. and i also added the finest filter pad i could find in my wet dry, added a very fine sponge in my drainflow box, phos-x (even though my phosphates were barely registering--i figured it couldn't hurt.) and did 1 charge of diatomaceous earth through a--you guys are gonna love this-- a wet/dry vac filter bag 8.99 at lowes and lasts a lot longer than media bags. i couldn't find any diatom filters in any pet stores so i stuffed the DE filled bag in to my seaclone skimmers vortex chamber-- figured the darn thing should be good for something since it doesn't skim worth a darn. :? just now starting to see the front of my live rock a distance of about four inches in :x waited a couple of day and did a 15 gallon water change would've done more but bottom of salt barrel. waited two days and then went to the store to get yet more salt on payday evening. next day went to turn on the lights and noticed that now could i not only see my liverock, i could see bits of the back of the tank and the airbubbles from my airstone instead of the usual green cloud.

two days after this miracle and i can't even tell that i have water in the tank, i have to look for the airbubbles and listen to the filters :D

persevearance and creativity, i was going to try cutting a wet dry vacs filter core in half and flattening it out or coiling it inside my seaclone next. it's the same type filter as in the magnum canister, the one that polishes the water. but at only 6.99 a filter at lowe's it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

good luck to you,

Back
Top Bottom