Diatoms and anemone question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triggerman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone I have a few questions about my new sw tank setup. I am starting to get diatoms in my sand and on my LR, do I need to get some stuff from my lfs to kill it or will it go away by itself? Also, when should I add my cleaning crew? I used ro/di water from my lfs when I set up my tank. Also, I have anemones growing from my 6 day old live rock. Is this normal? I feel like I got about 10 anemones for free!!!!! I heard these were bad and had to get them out of my tank. I am not sure and need help as I am new to sw and don't know what's good or bad. Thank you all for your help.

If you just set up the tank I would let what ever algea grow. But I don't think you have anonomes. Look up a picture of aptasia. (excuse anything misspelled) it's a type of hitch hiker that comes on live rock. Many people will tell you to kill it. But if you like the way it looks you can leave it. But beware it will grow very very fast and can take over your tank. It's your tank and up to you.

aptasia are anemones. i would kill them because they will spread very quickly, and are not attractive.
diatoms are a normal stage and will subside as fast as they came with normal tank husbandry. if your cycle is complete, you could get a few snails to eat it, but i wouldn't go overboard with a "cleanup crew". what size tank is this and what fish do you intend to keep?

Back
Top Bottom