Diatoms Diatoms Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimmer910

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tank has been running for 3months now and has cycled but I still have Diatoms growing. It's on the sand, rocks, and glass. I clean my tank and do a water change once a week and they still grow back. Any suggestions on getting rid of it? Possibly buying more snails to eat it?

Diatoms don't grow on the glass. I would be more inclined to say you have cyano in the system, but would need a picture to say what is really going on.
Diatoms will die out on their own once the silicates in the system are consumed. It is hard to believe this is still on going 3 months down the line.
Adding livestock is never a solution to one's issue as it only adds more eating/pooping creatures to the system that is already telling you there is an issue going on.

I don't have much of a clean up crew due to my local fish store lacking them. All I have is 2 turbos and a peppermint shrimp. Any good websites that have good clean up crew and reliable?

Here's a picture of the side of the tank:
IMG_2594.jpg

It's kind of hard to see it on the tank but you can definitely see it in the sand.

Ok. Well, it does look like you are still seeing some diatoms in the sand. It will die off, it simply takes time. Don't add any livestock or anything as it'll go away on its own.
As for what is going on on the glass, welcome to the same algae that grows on everyone's glass. There isn't anything you can do about it but scrape it off. Some of us do it daily, some can do it every other...but it's there and there isn't anything that can be done to stop it.

Back
Top Bottom