Diatoms last how long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering what to expect with diatoms. How long do they tend to hang around?

55g planted with sand substrate and temporary DIY Co2. Dosing GregWatson ferts.

OK, is this Diatoms or BBA on my Anubia?

(Gonna start using my vid camera to do images. Cant focus this P.O.C. digital camera)

Some tanks diatoms will last a week or two, but for others it's been known to last upto two months. Generally if it lasts longer than that, there's probably a rouce of silicates in your tank that needs to be dealt with.

What are possible sources that could cause prolonged growth? Not that I have a problem. Just thought I would ask now rather than dig up this thread in 2 months.

Usually it's going to be a piece of your decor or the gravel, but it could also be coming in with your tap water.

Purrbox said:
Some tanks diatoms will last a week or two, but for others it's been known to last upto two months. Generally if it lasts longer than that, there's probably a rouce of silicates in your tank that needs to be dealt with.

wut is silicates ?

OK fellas. Thanks for the info. I'm another day older and just a bit wiser.

Kinda concerned about my sand being a silicate source. Seems the diatoms are spreading out all over the surface of it. I'll let it go for a time to see if things get better. If not, what would be a course of action? Remove the sand and get new substrate? Or could I remove the top inch and cover it with a better, more aquarium friendly, sand?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you continue to have problems with diatoms. Since it's just starting there's no way to tell whether or not you're going to have long term problems.

If you have a tendancy to do a lot of uprooting and planting of your plants, your substrate will always tend to get mixed over time so layering wouldn't be the best solution long term.

Purrbox said:
I wouldn't worry about it unless you continue to have problems with diatoms. Since it's just starting there's no way to tell whether or not you're going to have long term problems.

If you have a tendancy to do a lot of uprooting and planting of your plants, your substrate will always tend to get mixed over time so layering wouldn't be the best solution long term.
I wont necessarily worry about it for now. However, I will be thinking about and jotting down a plan for removal of the sand if the time comes. I should know if there is a problem before I have too many fish in the tank as I plan to add them gradually over time. Of course, if the need arises, it would be a chance to do a more plant friendly substrate. Hopefully, in a few months, money wont be so much of an issue as it is now.

Thank you all very much for the input. Hopefully, I wont have to ask too many more questions on this subject.

ikon said:
Purrbox said:

I had them in my new tank for almost two months. I just kept cleaning it off the sides and decor, rinsed filter pads and did partial water changes. Eventually they went away. A diatom filter would have taken care of everything fast but I wasn't gonna bother getting one for my 30 gallon tank.

Silicates as they pertain to aquaria are mineral compounds present in some rocks that can be used to build diatom skeletons. Excess silicates allow for a longer diatom cycle because as diatoms reproduce they need silicates to build their frame (skeleton). Once there isn't enough free material in the tank the diatoms die off.

Clear as mud?

Hoovercat said:
Silicates as they pertain to aquaria are mineral compounds present in some rocks that can be used to build diatom skeletons. Excess silicates allow for a longer diatom cycle because as diatoms reproduce they need silicates to build their frame (skeleton). Once there isn't enough free material in the tank the diatoms die off.

Clear as mud?

heh .. ya i suppose .. but the diatoms are gone .. so thats all the matters..

I read in a different site that if you use pool filter sand (silica sand) you will get diatoms shortly after setting up the tank. This sounds like it could be possible for your case of diatoms. I am a newbie and doing lots of reading in the forums so that I can use some of their experience.

I've got diatoms like crazy, they're driving me nuts. Tank is 2 months established, artificial plants, standard gravel, driftwood, 50% PWC weekly. White gravel - by the way- not a good choice as it really shows the brown junk.

Back
Top Bottom