Diatoms not going away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank set up in early Dec and saw them first popup in February. I have 26G with sand substrate. I hear the cause is silicates and since they have not cleared up on their own I suppose that silicates are in the my city water or sand, neither of which I can do much about. That said I'd love to get a crew of Otos to help with the ongoing algae clean-up effort. But I hear bristle nose plecos can work for this too. I think I'd prefer the Otos as they are cuter and don't require driftwood..

How many Otos could I fit in this fully cycled tank?

Current inhabitants:
-5 mollies
-9 neon tetras

Filtration:
Aqeon 30
4x4 sponge filter

I hear they are big poopers. What wold add more bio load, 3-5 Otos or one bristle nose pleco? Thanks!

I'd get the Otos they don't have as high a bioload as plecos. I've read that plecos are heavy waste producers. I had issues with diatoms in my new tank that didn't go away. I rubbed off as much as I could but my Otos certainly took care of the rest. I'd get 3 or 4 in your tank.

Daxhua said:
My single oto made short work of my 54gal full of diatoms in just three days.

Wow thats a lot of ground for a single Oto to cover. Do you feed your single Oto anything besides algae from the tank? I wonder if my tanks diatom production could keep up with the needs of the Otos?

Brian_Nano12g said:
I'd get the Otos they don't have as high a bioload as plecos. I've read that plecos are heavy waste producers. I had issues with diatoms in my new tank that didn't go away. I rubbed off as much as I could but my Otos certainly took care of the rest. I'd get 3 or 4 in your tank.

I'd love to get 3 or 4! Any reputable Oto sellers on AA that you guys know of?

I'm unaware of breeders here on AA. I've read that Otos can be tough to breed. I picked mine up at Petsmart on sale for a dollar each. The LFS by my place sells them for three bucks.

Ponch said:
Wow thats a lot of ground for a single Oto to cover. Do you feed your single Oto anything besides algae from the tank? I wonder if my tanks diatom production could keep up with the needs of the Otos?

I still worry about him getting enough food, he won't touch any type of veggies or wafers I give him. It's been almost five months and there's almost no visible algae in my tank I have no idea how his stay so fat. That's part of the reason why I haven't gotten him any buddies, I'm not sure there's enough algae to keep them all happy.

Back
Top Bottom