Diatoms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShMacKDizZLe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tanks a year old and I just added a bunch of live rock a few weeks ago and I'm assuming I went through a mini cycle because that's when the diatoms showed up. What else can I do on top of water changes to get rid of it for good?
72 g
Fluval fx5
Reef octopus hob skimmer
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .8

That's what I was hoping but it's already been 3 weeks... You think it'll start to fade soon?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

15 gallons once a month usually but they popped up 3 weeks ago and I did a 15 gallon water change after a week and I'm about to do another this weekend

What I was told is that diatoms are the beginning of the end to a cycle, and that was probably dude to the live rock die off. But with weekly water change it should go on it's own . Due process :)

You could definitely add more clean up crew to help as well and you could also move the sand bed a bit to get the algae floating then do your 20% water change.

I would not move the sand bed, that would cause another mini cycle..... Sand bed should never be disturbed that much. a yellow face goby does a Naturally better job of turning the sand with out causing a cycle.

But the clean up crew is a great idea ;-)

I wouldn't stir up the sand bed. Just wave your hand gently above the sand and that would be enough. That would get the algae floating so when you do your water change you remove some algae with the water.

Back
Top Bottom