Diatoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Aargh! Beautiful cycled yank, recently stocked...and diatoms on everything! (except the fish, lol.)

I know this is a normal part of a newer tank. How long before they went away in yours? Any hints to make them go away faster? I actually read using more light and oxygen can help get rid of them, true? Seems like the opposite would work. I'm picking up some RCS on Wednesday, but I know they can't keep up with the......Diatoms!!!

More light is often said to help. More flow can help. Lots of PWCs and brushing can help. With my latest tank, I had a diatom outbreak that was bad for about 2 weeks, and went completely away after about 4 weeks. It varies... but every tank I have ever setup has had a diatom outbreak.

Thanks Fort. I was actually afraid too many pwc's might make it last longer if I had silicates in my water that were helping cause it (I haven't tested). Does anyone know if when this stuff dies off, does it just kind of disappear or do I have to scrub / replace all my deco?

it will brush off... and you will export what's left with PWCs.

Everyone is always overly worried about the silica content of their tap water. 95% of people's tap water is fine. I wouldn't get worried unless this continues for over about a month or so. Until then, patience :)

Yeah, I think it's just part of the new tank process. The aquariums I've had here before never had a chronic problem. Thanks. Just hate seeing my beautiful tank covered in brown.

Yeah, I think it's just part of the new tank process. The aquariums I've had here before never had a chronic problem. Thanks. Just hate seeing my beautiful tank covered in brown.

Having a similar issue here. Had the outbreak for about 6 weeks. So many different opinions on what to do. Latest opinion was to stop doing water changes. I'm so confused and I want my beautiful clear water back.

My first step is to give it time. I'm also putting in a bunch of cherry shrimp to help out. If in about a month the problem isn't getting better I might start looking at silica absorbers.

My first step is to give it time. I'm also putting in a bunch of cherry shrimp to help out. If in about a month the problem isn't getting better I might start looking at silica absorbers.

My LFS suggested some ghost shrimp. I added them, but they are so hard to see I don't think they are around anymore. Do you know how to test for the excess silica?

justcrusin said:
My LFS suggested some ghost shrimp. I added them, but they are so hard to see I don't think they are around anymore. Do you know how to test for the excess silica?

I've heard there's a test kit, but I haven't looked for one. I'm sure it'll go away since my tanks only been cycled for less than a month...but I'm a less than patient person. I'm gonna just try to wait it out though.

One question I do have. I have upgraded lighting in this tank. I have two T-5 bulbs...one actinic and one "ultra sun", fancy word for white. I'm wondering if I should only run one, both or none?

I had mine breakout yesterday, it's horrible looking. I posted on here and got the same responses as Fort gave you. I googled it 100 times today and I read that less light and pwc is the way to go. I also read that corys will help not sure on that. I am new to the hobby I'm just telling you what I've read. But if it's normal for young tanks according to everyone here I'm going to sit and wait!! I will be interested to hear if the shrimp help?

My juvenile bristlenose love it. I put them in a tank that had the whole back glass covered with it. I put 3 small BNP and it was gone in less than a week. The front of the glass was scrubbed clean during a previous PWC so this was older diatoms and not fresh ones but I'm sure that they would like an outbreak.

xander said:
My juvenile bristlenose love it. I put them in a tank that had the whole back glass covered with it. I put 3 small BNP and it was gone in less than a week. The front of the glass was scrubbed clean during a previous PWC so this was older diatoms and not fresh ones but I'm sure that they would like an outbreak.

+1

My bristlenose plecos likes the diatoms as well. My amazon swords were covered in diatoms and it took less than a week for them to clean it. They didn't clean my ludwigias though. I also increased my tanks water flow and most of the diatoms never came back. I also upped my lighting and reduced the photo period.

roydooms said:
+1

My bristlenose plecos likes the diatoms as well. My amazon swords were covered in diatoms and it took less than a week for them to clean it. They didn't clean my ludwigias though. I also increased my tanks water flow and most of the diatoms never came back. I also upped my lighting and reduced the photo period.

Thanks guys... Can you explain the "upped lighting and reduced photo period" part? Meaning stronger lights for less time? Sorry.

eco23 said:
Thanks guys... Can you explain the "upped lighting and reduced photo period" part? Meaning stronger lights for less time? Sorry.

Upgraded my light from low to medium-high and reduced the "lights on" from 11 hours to only 9 hours.

roydooms said:
Upgraded my light from low to medium-high and reduced the "lights on" from 11 hours to only 9 hours.

Great, thanks for the info. Do you have any idea if the actinic light I have in combo with the white might be helping / hurting?

eco23 said:
Great, thanks for the info. Do you have any idea if the actinic light I have in combo with the white might be helping / hurting?

It doesn't help or hurt your plants. It'll make your tank look nice but that's it.

Ok so they are getting worse my filter tube is brown so is the tube from that is connected to power tube! What should I Do?

It's only been 3 days. Patience. It could last weeks. In the mean time, brush 'em off.

Back
Top Bottom