Diatoms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cmonti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. My tank is a 20H and is about 2 years old. I have a koralia 1 and nano powerhead for flow. Hob skimmer. Aquaclear 70 converted to fuge with floss an chemipure elite. Had 2x bulb coralife t5 system but recently upgraded to a 4x bulb system. Was using water from a dual chamber undersink filter but recently upgraded to an ro/di unit. 2 clowns and a green clown goby. Peppermint shrimp and a handful is snails. Mostly mushrooms, a frogspawn, open brain, kenya tree Feed frozen thawed rinsed cubes and/or pellets once a day. weekly 20% changes. Here is my issue..... Seemed after I added new light system I started to get, what I thought was the start of cyano. Did 2 treatments of chemi clean but algae problem seems to be diatoms on rock and sand. Have heard old bulbs could cause, but new? only running daylights for 5 hrs Tested last night and nitrated were 0 and phosphates were between 0 and .25. Why the outbreak in an established tank??? What should I do??

Anyone have thoughts. Some help would be great

carey said:
Have you tested your source water is the only thing I can think of...[/QUOTE

A thought of mine as well. Water filters from undersink unit were getting old. Think the new lights were a coincidence but blooms do kick up during the day. After I got the ro/do unit did a 30% change then five days later did 20%. Source water is now perfect. Hopping after a few more water changes and continued yank cleaning will solve issue. Just getting annoying.

Back
Top Bottom