Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never seen diatoms kill fish. That's such an extreme case and the odds would be incredible that a diatom bloom too all of the available oxygen and killed your fish.
Something else killed your fish. Yes, a water change would not hurt at this point.
Check your parameters first before doing the change and post them here.

Ammonia is slightly elevated (.25) but I did have three fish die so i'm sure that's what raised it.
PH 7.8-8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Temp 80.1
Salinity 1.025

Nothing has changed except I did add two new Koralias friday and no I didn't rinse them before I added them to tank, you think they may have had something on them? Why would the issue i'm having kill my fish and not my crabs and snails?

I don't know what to do!! When can I add new fish? Or do I need to change out almost all the water?

mr_X said:
If it was me I'd get rid of the ammonia before I added livestock.

Yea but im worried even after I do WCs to lower ammonia new fish will still die because I haven't found the reason the last three died

Something toxic had to get in tank. I don't know how because there hasn't been anything change except I put in two new powerheads and then my fish die all at the same time......I don't understand and i'm getting really frustrated with all this...

No my tank had already went through cycle before I ever added fish. One day their all find next day floating. I just don't understand. The fish have been in tank for over three weeks and have been fine till Sunday went they died and what is weird they all died at the same time but crabs and snails are still alive

How did you cycle the tank? Maybe uneaten fish food and poop accumulated in the corners and when you fired up the power heads it stirred it all up causing a spike?
It's unlikely that there was a toxin on the power heads that killed the fish but not the inverts.

For the strange case something was on the Powerhead. You should always rinse things before putting it in your aquarium.

I started my cycle with just live rock..I didn't know about the raw shrimp deal until afterwards. I did see an ammonia spike and to trites then trates so I figured cycle was over. Everything has been fine for weeks until now. Also if there was some sort of toxin on the new PHs it would still be dissolved in the water and may kill any livestock I add to tank right?

I'd be more likely to believe that the die off from your LR didn't create enough BB for the livestock you put in. Increase of food + poop + fish and then stirred up by the new PH. I agree with Mr X.

Ok so after my WCs to remove excess ammonia I should be good to add more livestock? Or give it awhile to make sure I have enough BB

No I wouldn't add livestock for at least a week or two let bb grow and be good before you add more. Feed lightly also.

Do NOT add any livestock until you have no ammonia or nitrites in your tests after dosing your tank with ammonia. Dose pure ammonia and give it 10-12 hours and test. If you have any readings besides nitrates you are not fully cycled. If you end up with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and (for example) 0-10 nitrate do a PWC to remove the nitrate. Then you will be fully cycled and can begin adding livestock to your tank.

Sniperhank said:
Do NOT add any livestock until you have no ammonia or nitrites in your tests after dosing your tank with ammonia. Dose pure ammonia and give it 10-12 hours and test. If you have any readings besides nitrates you are not fully cycled. If you end up with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and (for example) 0-10 nitrate do a PWC to remove the nitrate. Then you will be fully cycled and can begin adding livestock to your tank.

I have already cycled if u read the past posts I have already seen ammonia spike to nitrites then to nitrates with readings finally of 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and around 10 nitrates. The only spike of ammonia i've seen since was the spike after having dead fish which will cause a spike do to decomposition of fish

Back
Top Bottom