Dicrossus filamentosus(checkerboard chiclid)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FSEMTB2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anybody have this species of dwarf chiclid? I aquired one and didnt realize they where so sensitive. If anyone has any experience please share

Delicate doesn't even begin to describe them. I have six, and keep them in a 30 gal with some ottos. In my expierience I have found them to be easier to keep if you use RO water and add the trace vitamins to the water or filter through peat, and do a 20% water change weekly to keep the water quality as best as it can be. I also like to keep them in lower light with some driftwood and java fern as they tend to be skittish and stress easily. I also keep all males because they are next to impossibe for me to get them to spawn. I hope any of this helps.

During the short time I kept them, I found that water quality was more important than keeping it super-soft and acidic (assuming they're captive-bred and properly acclimated, of course). They absolutely will not tolerate any significant nitrate levels, so they require very regular water changes.

Personally, I didn't think they were any more difficult to keep than the other Apisto species, as long as proper water conditions were maintained.

They're a great fish-- enjoy yours!:)

Back
Top Bottom