did i do everything right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dizzy1968

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
A couple of days ago i wrote for advice on treating my molly with aquarium salt, i had researched about it and seemed like the best thing to do, 1, because it wouldn't harm the molly as they quite like slightly salty water, 2, salt can heal. I wasn't quiet sure how often i add salt, how long she will have to stay in nursing tank, and was i doing the right thing, just wanted a bit of feedback really, unfortunately i didn't get any replies.

Anyway she was in a 14lt nursing tank, id used sponge and water from the main tank that she had been in as all this is cycled, it stated to put half a tea spoon of aquarium salt per 4lts, i just put 1 tea spoon in first, then yesterday i added 1 more spoonful. and also read to put the heater to 28/30 degrees. I went to my local pets at home and spoke to one of the workers, he said i was doing everything right and that they actually put aquarium salt in all there tanks as path of coarse every week when doing there water changes, he also said that Melafix was a good all rounder natural medication that has speed up the healing process in fish using the salt and melafix, i had read this also, so i got home added the amount required, late i feed her, which she woofed down must been a little hungry as she seemed to lose her appetite when in main tank, so i thought this seems promising i wonder if she is feeling better? i for to add why she was actually in the nursing tank, it looked like she had a bit of fungus on her back.

Got up this morning to find her dead, poor little thing so now im sort of beating myself up, did i do the right thing???? i know it is path of the coarse with fish and i have to learn this is life i im to soft and soppy when it comes to all animals.

regards
dizzy :(

I'm sorry for your loss.
It sounds like a bacterial infection. If it moved fast it wound have most likely been columnaris (or something similar). For the future the best treatment for bacterial infections is lowered heat (70-72F), salt, antibiotics and sometimes swabs with hydrogen peroxide.

Hi Mumma.of.two
Thank you for replying
when i was looking up to find out what might be wrong with her, columnaris came up quite a lot, she didn't seem to have the symptoms, which i cant remember what they said they were now, it looked more like fungus???, so i did the complete opposite, oh dear i feel bad. although i don't think the salt and melafix would have harmed, put possibly the temperature maybe so what would have coursed this, she was in a 180lt tank, 60lt water change once a week, regular water tests use api water test kit.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
ph 7.6

can you tell me if all other fish in the tank are safe?
regards
dizzy from uk:)

dizzy1968 said:
Hi Mumma.of.two
Thank you for replying
when i was looking up to find out what might be wrong with her, columnaris came up quite a lot, she didn't seem to have the symptoms, which i cant remember what they said they were now, it looked more like fungus???, so i did the complete opposite, oh dear i feel bad. although i don't think the salt and melafix would have harmed, put possibly the temperature maybe so what would have coursed this, she was in a 180lt tank, 60lt water change once a week, regular water tests use api water test kit.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
ph 7.6

can you tell me if all other fish in the tank are safe?
regards
dizzy from uk:)

No problem :)
White cottony growth over a fish is normally a bacterial infection. Fungus infections are usually quite rare and are more like tufts of white strands. Columnaris usually comes on fast, within a day, and needs to be treated quickly. Separating her from the rest of the fish was a good thing. It will help prevent other infection. Of course it might not be columnaris :) Keep a close eye on the others and if you wish you can lower the temp 2-3 degrees and add a little salt.

ps mumma.of.two
forgot to say last night i noticed that she seemed to be moving quicker but staying still if this makes sense, i looked this up and it said that if they move quickly but not going anywhere this is stress, i looked at the temperature and it was 26 but we also made sure she had bubbles/ lots of movement in water for oxygen. but when i see her this morning, i looked at the temp and it said 30, do you think she died to the infection, stress, or both? or heat?
I know she has gone but just want to know as much as possible so if anything has happens like this again i have a bit more info

thanks

dizzy from uk

No problem :)
White cottony growth over a fish is normally a bacterial infection. Fungus infections are usually quite rare and are more like tufts of white strands. Columnaris usually comes on fast, within a day, and needs to be treated quickly. Separating her from the rest of the fish was a good thing. It will help prevent other infection. Of course it might not be columnaris :) Keep a close eye on the others and if you wish you can lower the temp 2-3 degrees and add a little salt.

The white stuff did look like a tuft only in 1 area, and it looked like it was sitting just under a some scales, i also read its coursed by a secondary infection, i.e. it could have been a wound and become infected, there was no red marks just what looked like 1 white tuft of cottony growth its wasnt even big either.

dizzy:)

Well, it could have been. It's really hard to say. Fish disease is pretty hard to diagnose sometimes. Sometimes fish just die for no reason (not this case) and sometimes live through the most horrible disease and conditions.
All you can do is keep an eye on your other fish, keep the water clean, feed good food and post some pics and info if it happens again. :)

Total agree with what you have said, i don't scrimp on anything when it comes to my animals, id rather go without myself lol, thanks for chat and advice look forward to the next chat, hopefully with better news, like the arrival of my baby bristlenose/ plecos.

dizzy from the uk:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom