Did I make a Boo Boo??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phiberop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was told from a LFS that my keyhole angel and a yellow tang would be fine together. So I got the tang and now the Keyhole is nipping and harrassing the Tang.

Is this normal at first or are they going to battle it out for a while?
Did I make a Boo Boo on this one?

Thanks for your support and comments.

Well, your tank is a bit small for the tang, they should not be kept in tanks less than 4 ft long and preferrably 18" wide. IMO, your just seeing the angel establish dominance, you'll likely see the same from the tang towards any new fish added to the tank, this might go on for a day or so, but isn't serious, usually.

Well, your tank is a bit small for the tang

Yes I have heard both ways on this one. I have heard and read that a 45 gallon is ok and then I have heard that a 100 gallon is the minimum.

I do know that I am going to be setting up a 75 or 150 gallon in my bedroom. This is once i have learned more and have kept my fish alive and healthy in my FO tank.

Thanks for the info. :) [/code]

Well i think it really has also to do with whats in the tank with the yellow.

I had a yellow, flame angel and perc clown in a 45 gal tall tank for several months. Then i upgraded that tank to a 75 gal. I can tell you the yellow LOOKS much happier in the 75 as in the 45 it was often hiding behind the rocks more than swiming in the open waters of the tank.

My yellow tang seems happier than ever. Swimming all over and getting bullied by the angel but that seems to have simmered down now. I think that as long as i keep it at the 4 fish and good quality water they should be ok.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom