Did i miss the nitrite spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm cycling a 55 gallon tank and I believe I may have missed the nitrite spike. After looking back on my notes of water parameters I noticed a small number of days of high ammonia readings ( 1 and .5) then back to the consistent .25 or 0. I've checked for nitrites after the first 2 weeks except for 2.5 days when I was out of town. I have not seen a spike in nitrites and am getting 0 for both ammonia and nitrites. I am getting small nitrate reading of 5. But I was told when using the API test kit nitrates may be thrown off if ammonia or nitrites are present leaving a false positive. Is it possible I may have missed the nitrite spike and am done or nearly done with my cycle? It's a fish in cycle FYI, and I am in week 3 and have filter media and substrate from an established tank in there.

It's possible you missed it but it is also possible that you won't get a large nitrite spike. Your cycle might not follow normal course because you seeded the tank with that filter media/substrate from an established tank. My advice would be to keep testing your ammonia and nitrites for another week. If both stay at 0ppm and you are still getting a nitrate reading, then I'd say your tank is finished cycling. How many fish do you have in the tank?

Ah, that makes sense. I have some minnows, a lake shiner, and a comet in there right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom