Did some Re-planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
After looking at all the beautiful tanks here, I was inspired and went out today and got a couple of new plants. I picked up Micranthemum umbrosum for the mid ground and a few nice stems of Althernanthera reinecki for the back ground. Put in a few more stems of Ludwigia repens as well. I haven't been happy with the tank since I pretty much ruined it a while back, but I'm starting to get it back on track. The Rotala Macrandra in the left corner and the Ammania senegalinsis in the right corner are coming along well, starting to colour up nice. I almost lost both these plants. At one time I had a ton of beautiful Rotal Mac, what you see are the 4 surviving stems coming back. The tank still has to grow out, but I'm starting to like it again. Should be interesting to see how the colours change and develop. Here are a few shots of the tank just before lights out. Thanks all for the inspiration, nice to get my hands wet again!

Attachments

• picture_300_106.jpg
    picture_300_106.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 110
  • picture_303_210.jpg
    picture_303_210.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 115
Hey LWB, those plants are indeed Ammania senegalinsis. Got them from aquariumplants.com. It was 5.99 for 6 stems. I paid crazy shipping ($18.00!!) but I really wanted to give this plant a try and could not find it anywhere. Think they still have them in stock. It took a while for them to catch, they lost all the original leaves and sprouted new growth at the tops. I let the tops grow out, then cut off the long leafless stem and re-planted the nice tops. They are starting to look good now, sprouted roots pretty quick. They are a pink colour now but can go a real pretty orange-red. High light and high C02 are supposed to keep it happy. If I can get it to grow your welcome to some if you want to try it. I have been lucky with it so far, but even Travis Simminson says it's a very tough plant to keep. Keeping my fingers crossed! We'll see how it goes!

It's so nice to see this tank coming back into its own. It's quite evident that despite your mistake the plants still love you. I think it's the combination of the hardscape and the brilliant plant colors that really make this tank stand out. Once you get it to finish growing in I would seriously recomend that you consider entering it in the AGA contest.

Very nice! I bought some Micranthemum umbrosum (which I really like) and some Alt. Reineckii not too long ago as well. Those two plants look really great in your tank!

Thank you all for your kind words! I am constantly working on this tank for fun, it relaxes me after a stressful day. Purrbox, I felt my face flush when I read your comment, coming from you it was a real compliment that you thought my tank was that good! I play with my tanks fo pure enjoyment and don't plan on entering any aqua scaping contests any time soon!! Sharing ideas and pics with the forum members here is good enough for me!

Beautiful! Well done. "There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling." ;)

Just an update shot of the 20 gallon. Pretty good growth happening, I am fighting brown algea once again. You can't really see in this shot as it is a few days old, but it's slowly getting worse. It's starting to smother the HC again, and it's pretty bad on the bottom leaves of all the stem plants, even though I've been really on top of testing and dosing. I have ordered Lamotte NO3 and PO4 test kits, hopefully I can figure out this mystery and get this brown gunk out of my tank for good!

This is a pretty new setup, right? Could it be diatoms? My brown gunk lasted 2 or 3 weeks, but is now virtually gone. I'd say another week, and it'll be completely gone. If it is brown algae, aka diatoms, then you may have them for a few weeks, then will disappear on their own. Just when you do your gravel vacs, you can get some of the stuff up. If it was anything like my new 29G, a few weeks and it will disappear.

Thanks guys. LWB, I think you are thinking of the 10 gallon which I just set up, this 20 has been up and running since mid Feb, diatoms came and went. Don't know what this brown algea is, though it does look like diatoms. I had to black this tank out once to get rid of it the first time. It is slowly creeping back in. I'll get rid of it sooner or later, just part of the challenge of our hobby!

Wow! That tank looks fantastic...

BTW, I have that same brown diatom looking stuff on the rocks in one of my 10gal tanks. The otos took care of it the first time, but it back now and the otos have been moved to another tank.

I have 4 medium size ottos in this tank and they are all fat and lazy! The brown stuff must be tasty!

:yum:

Man, Ammania senegalinsis was worth the trouble. It looks great in there.

Back
Top Bottom