Differences in Sunset Hygro Growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
i am hoping that the difference in growth between the two tanks may lead to why i am getting staghorn algae in the 75 gallon...

ok i have Hygrophila polysperma v. Sunset in two of my tanks..my 75 gallon and my 10 Gallon... i am getting difference in growth...

First the 10 Gallon...
Two 20 watt U-shaped screw in CF bulbs...6500K
IE dosing of CSM+B, KNO2, KSO4, KH2PO4
Excel Dosing...

leaves grow more oval shaped and get red near the top...
img_754209_0_0cdc71f3fc02d796019c5620716bcd6e.jpg

now in the 75 Gallon
i recently added some clippings from the 10 gallon (so they are geneticly speaking CLONES of the hygro in the 10 gallon)

4 x 32 watt T8 Bulbs
IE dosing of CSM+B, KNO2, KSO4, KH2PO4
DIY CO2...

in this tank the hygro grows, not so much up...but sidways.
the leaves are much longer and pointers and have small tear marks along the edges (stretch marks????)
img_754209_1_d3e43f6e5ef994cc3aa25e71ea33ad99.jpg

img_754209_2_93999ef081c49e5bb0cad2bc88423eb6.jpg

ideas?

EDIT: i know it is comming so i did a PH test... tonight my PH = 6.6

KH is either 13-14 degrees

so that gives me 97.9-105.5 ppm CO2 8O i just changed 2 (out of my 6) 2L bottles out last night

Not enough CO2 woud be my first guess. For a 75G, that's a big tank for DIY. You would need a lot of bottles to produce the CO2 you need. Also, in a larger tank with DIY, the CO2 fluctuations are going to be greater as well, thus, algae.

Do you have anacharis or vals? If not, then try supplimenting with Excel and see if that stops the algae and starts correcting the problems.

Lonewolfblue said:
Not enough CO2 woud be my first guess. For a 75G, that's a big tank for DIY. You would need a lot of bottles to produce the CO2 you need. Also, in a larger tank with DIY, the CO2 fluctuations are going to be greater as well, thus, algae.

Do you have anacharis or vals? If not, then try supplimenting with Excel and see if that stops the algae and starts correcting the problems.
i have vals :(

i mist my CO2 so i have been seeing good numbers so far

maybe i need to just bit the bullet and look into pressurize :?

kind of scary for some reason... lol

i have not idea how to get started :?

If you decide on pressurized and want to keep costs down, then go with a mist system with the CO2 bottle, regulator/solenoid/needle valve/bubble counter, airstone, and powerheads. Probably the simplest and cheapest way to do it. Or you can add in a powered or inline reactor, which will be an added expense. Pressurized isn't as hard as it seems. The most important part is to read the instructions on the regulator on how to install and turn on the CO2. If not done correctly, you can blow out the pressure guage. Other than that, everything else is simple.

Edit:
Also to note, a 5lb bottle should last 6 months, and costs about $12.00 to refill. And a 10lb bottle almost a year, and costs about $15.00-$17.00 to refill.

Go pressurized if you can spare the cash. People on the forum told me you will wish you had done it sooner, they were right. Having good consistent C02 levels at all times is a main key to succsess with a planted tank. I did DIY for almost a year, my tanks have never looked better as far as plant health and algea are concerned since going pressurized.

Pressurized does seem intimidating at first, but it is really simple once you get it setup, and definitely worth the investment if you are serious about your aquarium.

I would say the best word for the experience is "anti-climatic". You are expecting ooh and ahh when you turn it on, for stuff to hiss and perhaps risk loosing your arm if you don't get that regulator on the bottle right, but nope, just goes bubble, bubble, bubble, bubble....

Back
Top Bottom