different type of tetras cohabitating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyGuy333

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone I was just wondering if certain types of tetras can get along.
I really admire their schooling behavior and their ability to be community fish. From everything I have read, they all seem to be good community fish and relatively easy to take care of however nothing is really touched on with tetras being kept with other tetras.

can neon tetras get along with other neon tetras? like black, orange/glowlight, blue, and/or green?
can they get along with rummynose tetras?

I would really like to have 2-3 different tetra types schooling around in my aquarium. My favorite are neon tetras (I know these are pretty basic, but I love them....plus I already have 12) so they would be my primary schoolers with others being bought that could coexist with them. Could this work? Would they disrupt eachother's schooling behavior?

When I asked my LFS the worker said that black neon tetras would get along with regular neon tetras but rummynose tetras wouldn't.

Rummy nose are pretty good natured, known for being tighter schoolers. I wonder what they meant by they wouldn't get along. RN will like a little bit cooler water.

Neons are great and one of the top community favorites overall. Green Neons will shoal with the other Neons, and Cardinal Tetras will also kinda hang out with them. But they DO know their group and will follow them and show a schooling behavior.

I haven't had the Black Neons, they get a little larger than a Neon. There are also Golden Neon Tetras as well.

One thing about getting a group of fish and another group and another group of all the same body shape of fish, is, it gets a little crazy looking, so many similar fish heading away with their specific group and not all together a word would be frenetic, not peaceful.

If you select 2-3 groups of fish which have different body shapes, say Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora and Von Rio Tetras, then the eye can follow the specific shape fish group with a sense of logic as it shoals around the tank, this way and that way. It really ends up being a more beautiful vison of the fish in the tank.

I had Cardinal, a few Green Neon and regular Neon Tetras and Glowlight (not Glofish ones they are different) After combining a few groups to one larger tank. And it was a scattered mess, little fish groups darting every which way.

One way to get the most schooling behavior is make the species greater in number.

Oh yes, excellent point!

Here is a pic where a bunch (~40) of the Neons were schooling they are nearly all facing the same direction at the bottom of the tank. they are a bit blurred at the bottom of the pic under the Angelfish.
60074-albums11380-picture70547.jpg

Thats cool. I had 25 rummy once. Was biggest school I ever had. They were in a 125g but seemed like tank was full. Bioload was low full of activity. Great way to go. I perfer species over community...I know its tough decision. But virtually all our fish change behavior when group is larger.

I have Rummynose, Neons, Black, Candy Cane, Serpae, Gold, Lemon, and Pristella Tetras all together in a 55 gallon. Mostly Candy Cane and Neons. Never had a problem. I think, though, 2-3 large schools is a more attractive arrangement. I have a 65 gallon tank with Cardinals and Harlequin Rasboras - about 30 of each that's very attractive.

I have a mix of several types ...schools of 6-8 in a 60 gallon. The rummynose are my favorite. What I've found to be the important part is to choose them based on where they they like to hang out.

The red eye tetras like the top, rummynose, the bottom and middle layers and so on. They separate themselves by layer...

I have neons, a few cardinals and some dwarf rainbow tetras all happily coexisting. IMG_7458.jpg

I had neon tetras and Glo light tetras (not the blacklight fish) together and they would all school when they anted, but when just doing everyday stuff, they would go into separate groups. One piece of advice my LFS gave me when I asked them was Tetras will school with anyone that looks like them as far as shape and size, not color.

Thanks everyone!!!!

they should all go together aggression/community wise is what I gathered that's nice. I was just paranoid when the woman said the rummynose might be aggessive to the neon tetras.

So what some of yall are saying is that regular/normal neon tetras (red/blue) will not form distinct separate schools if there is a large group of other similarly shaped/sized tetras? I was wanting black or green/blue (probably not both) or maybe even glow light tetras (though I have never seen them at any of the LFS I go to, maybe I'll special order them) but I want them to be distinct separate groups that school through the aquarium.

Are rummynose body types different enough? because they seem to be longer and more aerodynamic whenever i see them in the store compared to neon tetras

I have serpae, black skirt, neon, black neon tetras in my tank and they are happily coexisting. 5 of each, thinking of adding 5 more of the neons. They're adorable.

Back
Top Bottom