Difficulty feeding goldfish fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0Louis0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay this is like the 4th time I have a group of fry and I feel like I'm going to fail again
The fry are 4 days old. Today I crushed some adult fish food into powder and tried feeding them, some of the powder floated and some sank.
I don't know the amount of powder to put, I don't know if they ate anything, some of them didn't even move towards the food.
I siphoned the food on the bottom and used a cup to remove the floating one, which took ages, and plenty of water siphoned/taken out, and even now I still see not all the powder has been removed and I'm afraid ammonia will rise..
Until now ammonia nitrites and nitrates are perfect (0,0,5), but it seems it won't be for long

Can anybody with experience on this tell me how did he do it?

Okay this is like the 4th time I have a group of fry and I feel like I'm going to fail again
The fry are 4 days old. Today I crushed some adult fish food into powder and tried feeding them, some of the powder floated and some sank.
I don't know the amount of powder to put, I don't know if they ate anything, some of them didn't even move towards the food.
I siphoned the food on the bottom and used a cup to remove the floating one, which took ages, and plenty of water siphoned/taken out, and even now I still see not all the powder has been removed and I'm afraid ammonia will rise..
Until now ammonia nitrites and nitrates are perfect (0,0,5), but it seems it won't be for long

Can anybody with experience on this tell me how did he do it?

Don't have much experience with fry at all but have you tried feeding first bites by hikari? I read on another thread that fry need to be fed more throughout the day and require more protein as they are still developing and need the extra nutrition.

You should try infusoria initially then switch to baby brine shrimp along with algae. You probably won't see them eat unless you are watching them 24/7. If desperate, cook an egg & remove the yolk. Remove tiny piece of yolk (1/2 pea size) and crush/dissolve it 1/2ml of treated water. Use an eye dropper & drop few drops as meal. It will foul the water quickly though. Baby brine shrimp along with algae are really better options.

Back
Top Bottom