Dilema...please offer your support/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I am so excited to finally start getting everything all set up in my 55 gal tank. I have my plan, my stocking list and have a log all ready to go for my fishless cycling so that I can document everything.

I tell my Mother in law about everything who has had some tropical FW fish before but now only keeps gold fish in a small aquarium in her greenhous in the winter. They are in her water garden all spring/summer/fall but it gets too cold in the winter so she puts them there just before the water starts to freeze. She has been very sucessful with these goldfish as there are now 7 of them ranging from 4 to 7 inches.

The problem is, that now that I have a "big tank" in her opinion she would like for me to house them for the winter so she doesnt have to look after them this winter. I dont know how to say no to this woman because she is always so good to me and is honestly my best friend. I did explain to her that my concern is that my tank will not be cycled yet and I dont want to put her fish in there before that. I explained the fishless cycle and she keeps insisting to me that since we have pure unfiltered mountain spring water that all of that is already taken care of and I dont even need to do it. I explained the whole cycle and she says that is only for people who have treated city water. I told her that NO, it is a "balancing a new eco system thing" and she just changes the subject telling me that she just scoops them out of the pond and puts them back into her tank after thouroughly cleaning it every year.

I tell her that yes, but she is still using the same gravel that has had water in it all year and that her micro colony of bio-bacteria is still there ready to do it's job. I told her that I am afraid if she doesnt at least let me do a fishless cycle then it could kill some if not all of her fish.

She disagrees, says they will be fine and refuses to budge. I then tell her that these goldies are rather large compared to anything I will be stocking in my tank and I dont want any of my own fish to get eaten. She says it wont happen just because she has had them with one danio and a pleco before.
I told her that goldfish need cooler water, my tank will be around 78 degrees she says thats fine, I told her that her fish will pretty much fill my tank so that I can't even begin stocking until next spring....she says, nah, there's plenty of room in there.

So I feel at this point like I cant say no....I think I will do the fishless cycle without her knowledge since she doesnt agree with me there, but it really boils down to not wanting her goldfish because they are already so big.

Will they eat my small fish....my gut says any fish that big will eat smaller fish.

I did tell her that I did not want to do it every winter but I probably could do it this winter for her but I honestly dont see the point. These are her fish and her responsibility.

Any suggestions/advice?

Sounds like a tank hijacking to me. Tell her to keep her fish as she always has. I would not let her take over my tank.

in my opinion this is what i would do. the goldfish should not be in a tropical tank. yes your tank should be cycled even if it is "pure mountain spring water" your mother in law needs to get her own tank, and stop messing with yours. imo you could, if it is a possibility buy her a bigger tank, or tank her shopping for a bigger tank. just my two cents

Good luck. You're doing the right thing, don't let her put her fish in your tank. It's not really fair for her to pawn off that many big fish on you and expect for you to take them. I know it's easier said than done, but stay the course. If she's being stubborn, so can you.

I agree!! You can simply make her a present. If she doesn´t like the idea I would keep the new tank and her fish too and I would then refuse to give them back.

It is un-fair in the first place for her mother-in-law to push her fish off on her new tank she has good plans for, and it is even more un-fair for her to have to 'buy' her way out of this.

Even though it would be possible to stand your ground and insist that she doesn't put her fish in your tank, I'm not sure if that's the best idea. She clearly has no interest in understanding why you think it's not a good idea and (in my opinion), might just chalk it all up to you being difficult and not wanting to help her instead of seeing the numerous other issues at hand. Although I do love my fish, maintaining good relationships with family members, especially your mother-in-law is vital. Of course, this doesn't mean letting her walk all over you, but at the same time if she just isn't understanding that not so subtle aspects of fishkeeping, she is likely to think you are the one who is being unreasonable, not her.

That is why I LOVE the above-mentioned idea of you getting her a gift of a bigger tank. That way you are the one doing something nice, and you don't have to have your tank taken over. If you are not in the position to do that, I would suggest telling her you absolutely cannot mix your tropical fish with her goldies, keeping the goldies for the winter and then starting your tank in the spring. That way, she won't be able to pawn them off on you next year and should realize that you are unwilling mix the goldies with other fish.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Actually, the goldfish will be quite comortable in warm water, But you won't be able to stock any other fish. The other problem is that warm water encourages better digestion and the fish could grow several inches over the winter in a tropical tank. So long as they are kept under 55F in the winter there is very little maintenence for her. At that temperature their metabolism pretty much stops and they don't need regular feeding- which also means less water changes. If anything, but her one or two 30 gallon rubbermaid storage totes and two underwater filters and tell her to keep the fish in there. Maintenence should be minimal.

Just wanted to add that the 7 goldfish alone will stock a 55g. Actually it would be overstocked, not to mention with any other fish that you want in the tank. Goldies are messy fish too...so I wouldn't want them in my tank.

I also agree that she doesn't seem to want to understand any of the reasons you have given her.

Try to find her a bigger tank...55g would be nice, 75g would be even better. Maybe try to get one that comes with a filter. If she keeps it in her Greenhouse it could be a used tank...and doesn't have to be in the best condition as long as it holds water. Maybe you could find a good deal! Think of it as an early Christmas present. ;)

That is you tank why would you lets someone else stock it for you? Would take away all the fun of owning a tank imo.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I do appreciate your advice and support as well as the good ideas.

I do like the gift idea, I will check Craig's list. I think her issue with asking me in the first place had more to do with wanting "one less thing" to do to get ready for winter and her husband (my father in law) suggested just having me keep them for her....he of course knows NOTHING about fish keeping, and I am finding out that she thinks she does, but really does not and therefore finds me to be frustrating her on this issue.

I really also like the suggestions about the totes with filters which could closely simulate the pond environment that they already have. Perhaps she could even keep some of her water plants alive this way :) I think I will suggest it to her and tell her from my heart that I really wanted to do something specific with my tank and would prefer not to take her goldies.

If she is still difficult I will tell her that I will come over to her house and take care of them for her on my weekly visits...all she will have to do is feed them. I think that might help.

Thank you all for helping me see this in a different light. I really did feel like I was being selfish. It really was starting to take all the fun out of it...not to mention this tank is my main focal feature in my living room and I would be reminded of the stuation every minute of every day.

You hit the nail on the head when you said it is very important to maintain good relations with my mother in law and not have anything like this getting in the way. I think that if I stop trying to give her 20 excuses why I think it's a bad idea which may have put her on the defensive....I should just speak to her from my heart and tell her how I feel.

Thanks for the great suggestions, that gives me some alternatives to offer her so she can at least see that I want to help, even if it is not HER plan. :)

Thanks again!

The real trick to situations like this, is find a way to make her to convince herself that she does not want to put her fish in your tank. A few vicious cichlid would do the trick quite nicely.

I am just kidding (mostly) - I really don't have a solution for you, except for getting her a pond heater (if circumstances permit).

i think depot caught on to this, goldifish can normally live outside year round if the pond is deep enough, i dunno where you live though, canada may be too cold.

about goldfish and cycling, i got my goldfish when i was 7, and i kept them for years, not knowing about the cycling thing, mine were hardy enough to withstand a non cycled tank, however you shouldnt do this with most fish

Have you asked her if she would be willing to get a bigger tank for them or if she didn't mind you taking care of them in her house or moving the tanks to your house so you can take care of them? If you really don't mind taking care of the fish make her accomodate by providing the housing for them, there has to be a compromise somewhere. And one other thing, with the goldies being outside fish, I would not put them with any other fish because they have been exposed to numerous nasties that could ruin your tank and kill any other fish.

IMHO, I would not let her run your new tank. Once you do you will never win with her and things could end up even worse in the long run.

hashbaz said:
A few vicious cichlid would do the trick quite nicely.
A few piranahs would work too.

hc8719 said:
i dunno where you live though, canada may be too cold.
Don't know about the Northern parts but here in BC, it's not too cold.

fish_4_all said:
IMHO, I would not let her run your new tank. Once you do you will never win with her and things could end up even worse in the long run.

Exactly.

If you can't find her a tank (and honestly, I don't think you're going to find one big enough to house all those goldfish longer term - you'd probably end up in a dilemma next year) then the pond de-icers / heaters are a great idea - its a gift and they're not all that expensive. Here's a few links, they have others:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13400&N=62728+113821
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18613/si1383282/cl0/alliedsinkingponddeicer1500watt

Drs Fosters & Smith also has a bunch of articles you can read on proper pond care over the winter.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/category_home.cfm?dept_id=0&siteid=7&acatid=159

Where does your mother in law live ? Its probably likely that she can just leave the fish to go dormant over the winter - she won't even need to feed them !

You are NOT being selfish - you ARE being practical. A 55 will be overstocked with those fish - they'll be going from tank conditions to pond conditions - they'll be mixed with tropical fish which need warmer temperatures and you'd have to slowly bring the temperature down somehow to acclimate them back to the cooler water when she wants them back in the spring .... there are just way too many complications and my guess is that it would end up causing more loss than gain

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted
What your mother in law needs to understand is that even if you DID take the fish this winter it's not a long term solution; the fish will be much too large to house in an aquarium next year.

Back
Top Bottom