Dilemma! Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jespenguin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So here's what I got, I have a 5 gallon with 2 fancy guppies and 2 neon tetras, it was a christmas present because I was thinking about starting aquariums and now I'm hooked. So now I have a 40gallon long. I also have a male betta in a larger bowl who was in the 5 gallon until I got the others and the little guppies attacked! So now I want to move them all around so that the betta can have his space back cause he LOVED it and don't know how to go about it because I really want an angelfish or another cool centerpiece type fish and Im really afraid the fiesty guppies will attack anything pretty. Any advice?

i was thinking the same thing as dk. i wouldn't worry about guppies attacking an angel, either, if anything, i would worry about an angel makingsnacks out of the guppies and tetras. if i were you i would movethetwo guppies and two tetras to the 40g, add like 18 more neon tetras, and then a couple of larger fish like rainbows, and then a little group of otos or a few pitbull plecos. that's just me though :D if you are set on angelfish, do lots and lots of research first, because beginners with angelfish can lead to trouble!

I definately do want to build on my neons so they can school. And I want to add the angelfish last, I've researched and a lot of places say that if you get younger ones that are around them as they grow big they tend to leave them alone. Any input? Also any more suggestions on what kinds I could add are appreciated:D

On the question of what else to add I have 2 keyhole cichlids which do great in a tank of that size and are a good fish especially for a beginner as they are probably the least aggressive 4 inch fish I have ever seen.

If you are set on angels they are a good fish but can be aggressive especially in a 40 gal usually I wouldn't put an angel in a tank less then 4 ft as an adult grows to around 6 inches.

Happy fish shopping and hope it all works out for ya.

I read somewhere that an angelfish needs at least 18in height, and mine is 20, but with water it would be 18. And I'd only one want. But i do like the cichlids, but everywhere says that cichlids basically go with cichlids not other small fish. I just want a OH whats that fish kind of reaction:eek:

Kribensis and Rams would be two other good community dwarf cichlids. And they both are OH fish I would say.

Is there any good places to research because it feels like every place says something different?

Back
Top Bottom