Direct sunlight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishbait

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had planned on putting my 75g aquarium in my office, non direct sunlight. Well my wife said no bedroom by windows, sunside of the house. I live in Southern California is this going to overheat my tank in the summer. Also will direct sunlight induce any algae problems? Is there tank coolers?

Direct sunlight should be avoided for the reasons you mention. I think overheating isnt likely unless its sat in direct sunlight for long periods. A few hours per day should be good.

Excess algae growth is a likely outcome.

This is a tank from a recent post that was sat too close to a window.

0Z2tICg.jpeg

Are blinds or curtains an option if the position is not negotiable?

Light-filtering curtains are an option. They cut down on sunlight and UV. It doesn't have to cover the whole window: study the spot you're putting the tank and watch if direct light comes from high or low at different times throughout the day. You may be able to do a half curtain to only block the tank.

These curtains can be custom ordered from curtain sites, or buy something too big and take it to a curtain shop or even a tailor to cut down to your exact dimensions.That way you'd still have full view above it.

Similarly, light-diffusing shades, available at Walmart and online, can totally cut off the direct sun or be opened by degrees depending upon need. Hanging one at half height, like you would the curtains, would take care of them while allowing your original setup to remain the same from the waist or neck up. Hope this helps.

Happy wife happy life lol

Ideally you’d chose a different place for the tank, as that’s literally about the worst place you could put it, but if that’s what the wife wants...

I’d agree a curtain or some type of sun shade for the tank is a must or you will have an algae disaster on your hands! If the room is air conditioned I don’t think you’ll have an issue with the tank getting to hot, especially with the tank being shaded from direct sun

Back
Top Bottom