Dirt vs commercial substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
M about to set up my first planted tank with a substrate other than regular gravel. I'm trying to figure out if I should just use a bag of organic diet and cap it with sand or dirt?? Dunno which would be better. Or if I should use like the fluorite substrate they sell or maybe Eco complete. What is the best and what do you use

I used eco, nothing else along with it. Ive noticed a big change since i switched over. Never used dirt and always wondered the outcome of it. Are you planing to carpet the bottem of the tank?

I use Flourite with root tabs and love it. Still, my next tank will likely have Eco Complete. I haven't tried soil either.

Dirt capped with a finer substrate (sand, TMS, Flourite Sand) would be better than EC or just fluorite as it has more nutrients in it that either of the latter.

I us organic miracle grow capped with gravel. For the price I love it and I feel like it replicates nature. I'd use Eco or turface if I felt like paying more money...

Capping MG Organic Pottin Soil with cheap sand, usually PFS (Pool Filter Sand) is a fairly common technique as well.

How does the organic miracle grow work for you dirty tank man have you had any issues with it do you have to dose ferts any. And how long does the nutrients in the dirt last.

So my dad is trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and can just put dirt in the bottom of my tank it'll just turn to mud and that's why try sell the special diets like flourite or Eco complete

So if I have 40lbs of Eco complete and 15 lbs of flourite and mix it all up with gravel to make the rest of the substrate would this be enough or will I need more to mix in with the gravel

That sounds like plenty.

Dirt substrates are done in layers, the dirt goes on bottom and then its capped by sand or gravel. That's what keeps it from muddying up the tank.

Ecocomplete/fluorite work great though and are much easier to work with, so I think its great that you are going that route.

The guy at the lfs said I don't need to layer with those cause they're made for being in water as long as I mix some gravel in with it like put it all in a bucket and stir it up is how I took it the gravel is just to add that little something for the roots to grab ahold of and not uproot the plants and I guess just add some more inches to the substrate

That's the dimensions. But my question is will two bags of Eco complete a bag of fluorite and finer gravel be enough to provide my plants with what they need or will I have to use more Eco and fluorite

And can I mix all three of them up in a bucket and stir it up or does Eco and fluorite have to be capped

Three 15 lb bags of flourite in a 40 gallon breeder how thick of a substrate did it give you

So I'd say the amount I'll have with a combination of te Eco fluorite and gravel I should be good. But I still haven't been told if that'll be enough nutrients for my plants or should I add more of the Eco or fluorite into my gravel

Back
Top Bottom