Dirt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stingray68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon with sand and some plants but I pulled every thing up cause it looked really bad and I was wondering if I should try and dirt this tank and then just cap it with the sand? What should I do stay sand or do dirt?

Alot depends on how heavily you want to plant your tank. If your going low-med-high light. And why type plants your wanting. My 220g is dirted, high light, and heavily planted and I get great growth. But if your only wanting a low light tank with low light tolerant lights dirting isn't really necessary.

Substrate is honestly one of the least important things in determining how well plants do. Lighting and fertilizer is much more important.

Alot depends on how heavily you want to plant your tank. If your going low-med-high light. And why type plants your wanting. My 220g is dirted, high light, and heavily planted and I get great growth. But if your only wanting a low light tank with low light tolerant lights dirting isn't really necessary.

I have some kind of swords, rotala rotundifolia, star grass, jungle vall, dwarf sag, RTL, an Anubius, and some moss. I don't know what my lighting is but all the plants are growing good so I haven't had to check. I think is like medium maybe. I would want medium-high lighting.

I have some kind of swords, rotala rotundifolia, star grass, jungle vall, dwarf sag, RTL, an Anubius, and some moss. I don't know what my lighting is but all the plants are growing good so I haven't had to check. I think is like medium maybe. I would want medium-high lighting.

Alot of plants like a nutrient rich substrate so there is no reason you can't switch if you want to. If you just want to keep your sand then I suggest getting some good root tabs to use.

I think I am going to dirt it. How should I do this? Do I drain the tank separate the fish pull out all the sand and then place the dirt?

I think I am going to dirt it. How should I do this? Do I drain the tank separate the fish pull out all the sand and then place the dirt?

You will have to remove your fish to a container or other tank and put a heater and filter on them (hope you have spares). Then empty the tank, remove the sand, then add 1-1/2 inches of Organic Potting Soil, most people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. Add the soil in dry then slowly add just enough water to make it slightly wet, no standing water as you don't want mud. You should be able to scoop out a wad of moist dirt and be able to ball it in your hand. Also use your hand to compact the dirt so you don't have any air pockets to deal with. Next gently add the sand, 1-1/2 inches and be sure to keep some extra sand for touch ups after planting. After that place a plate or bowl on the substrate and very slowly fill the tank 3/4 of the way with water using the container to keep the water from displacing your substrate. Don't rush it. Then slowly and carefully replant. Your plants don't need to be pushed down to the dirt layer as they will grow there on their own. After planting finish filling the tank. Start your filter with some carbon or purgen in it to help remove tannins. Add your heater. By the next day your water will be very dark with tannins leaching out of the organic dirt. Do at least a 50% WC, then very slowly acclimate your fish. You might have to do a couple extra WC's the first week depending on how much tannins leach out. Also for the next 3-4 weeks you will need to poke around your soil with something like a BBQ fork to release gas pockets which will form from the organic soil breaking down. I also suggest not using any ferts for the first two weeks and only run lights 6 hours since the soil will also be releasing alot of excess nutrients in the beginning.

Are you running CO2? If not I suggest using a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel daily to aid in photosynthesis and growth, which will also allow your plants to use more of the nutrients in the water.

Back
Top Bottom