dirt.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryeseen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I saw this guy on good ol YouTube driting his tank with organic potting dirt. And then capping it with rocks. Just wanted to see what other people thought about this, and what you all like to use as of right now I got.sand and.rock but I do feel that it needs something better to grow in.... any thoughts comments ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a ton of threads on Dirt tanks. Lots of people have them. You can cap with sand or small gravel.

Most use Organic potting soil or Mineralized Top Soil.

I use sand with root caps, but lots of others use the Walstad method.

You may want to edit your spelling of DIRT. I didn't know what you meant at first.

I have dirted tanks, my largest being a 220g. I have very good results with plant growth. I also cap my dirt with Eco-complete.

Dirt is an easy cheap way around other expensive substrates. It has the most of the same nutrients as commercials substrates like Eco-Complete and Flourite. The only down side is that its a little messy. It'll cloud your water a little when you first set it up but you can avoid it by capping it off with gravel and or sand. Make sure you buy ORGANIC soil. If it has any chemicals in it, it will kill your fish. Also, algea blooms often occur with newly dirtied tanks. Make sure you got some nutrient absorbent plants and maybe some c02. You could dose Excel as well.

Back
Top Bottom