dirted tank set-up gone wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtanee

Aquarium Advice Freak
This happened awhile ago,
I did the dirt portion about an inch deep,
With another 1 inch or so sand cap.
This is my first dirted tank.
As I was putting in water into a bowl on the bottom the water went in too past and reached the substrate, going in too deep and exposing the dirt. Dirt is now on top of Sand in one spot :( I tried gravel vac'ing it out with no luck. Any one have any suggestions on how to fix this?

ForumRunner_20131213_112452.jpg

I don't think that's necessary. Just rinse some of it and take a handful and spread it over the dirt.

Done and done! Little cloudy atm but looking much better!

I've been dirting tanks for ages and always keep some of your cap substrate as spare for cleaning up any messes that can happen. Also using a thicker cap layer often helps.

I've been dirting tanks for ages and always keep some of your cap substrate as spare for cleaning up any messes that can happen. Also using a thicker cap layer often helps.

Do you ever have problems if your cap is too thick and roots can't reach down?

I usually try to do 1-1/2 to 2 inches of dirt (as it will breakdown and compact some over time) and shoot for about 1-1/2 inches of cap. I've never had issues of roots growing through, especially for deep rooting plants which IMO benefit the most from dirted tanks.

Thanks for the advice! I added more sand so I have about 1.5" of dirt 2" of sand.

Back
Top Bottom