dirty water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pennybabe01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I always have this oily looking film on the surface of my tank. I asked my lfs about it and they said it was probably dirt or me not washing my hands before putting them in my tank. But what I dont understand if its dust, why's it so oily looking and what can i do to prevent/fix the problem? (or is this normal?)

TIA

Sounds like protein scum. Using a skimmer will pull that stuff out of the water, and directing a powerhead towards the surface will help keep it from forming.

I bought a preskimmer box for my skimmer which helps remove it. But playing with the PH placement like Indy said will give you the best results. I always use gloves in the tank as I don't want to infect or get infected by the tank.

Feeding also contributes.. feed less, and discard any liquid from frozen preparations only feeding the flesh. If you use garlic then that alone can cause a nice big oil slick.

Thanx guys! I have a 60ga sw reef, and a bak pak 2 skimmer. I will look into getting a preskimmer box and my power head this week. I was going to probably get a maxi 900 or 1200. Everything else but the gloves, I've been doing. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom