disapearing act

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You want to have a nice piece of decaying shrimp still in there with the ammo and nitrIte readings constantly at 0. Then you're ready to go.

eco23 said:
You want to have a nice piece of decaying shrimp still in there with the ammo and nitrIte readings constantly at 0. Then you're ready to go.

Really?

momo said:

Really. The shrimp simulates having fish in there. It's more than fish will put out, but that's the point...to build the bacteria stronger than it needs to be.

Okay, i kept the old shrimp in a thing of declored water so should i just put that one back in instead of a new one?

I don't know how long it takes for them to start decaying and putting off ammonia. That's why I use pure ammo. If the other one is nasty or fuzzy...I'd use a new one.

Okay i finally got nitrites back. And there is alot. Almost 2ppm

momo said:
Okay i finally got nitrites back. And there is alot. Almost 2ppm

Looks closer to 5ppm. I put the rotten shrimp back in too. It hasnt been in since you told me to take it out. And the ammo was between 1 and. 50 ppm before i put it back in

Hey Momo. Yeah just leave that nasty thing in there until you're reading 0 ammo and 0 nitrItes. If the nitrIte level gets so high that you can't measure it, do a 50% pwc.

eco23 said:
Hey Momo. Yeah just leave that nasty thing in there until you're reading 0 ammo and 0 nitrItes. If the nitrIte level gets so high that you can't measure it, do a 50% pwc.

You dont want the nitrites that high?

Ammo hit zero witht the shrimp in it!!!! And nitrite is very very low

Awesome dude! Wait it out a bit longer until the nitrItes are definitely at 0 along with the ammo. Do you know your nitrAte level?

eco23 said:
Awesome dude! Wait it out a bit longer until the nitrItes are definitely at 0 along with the ammo. Do you know your nitrAte level?

Ill test them real fast

eco23 said:

20 ppm nitrate.

My ph is 8.2 is there anyway i can get it around 7.5?

Awesome. Here's what to do...leave everything exactly like it is for a couple days. Let the bacteria stabilize and hold the ammo and no2 at 0 for a couple days. Then, the day before you get fish do a massive 90% water change and get the nitrAtes as low as possible. If you've got your heater cranked up to help with the cycle go ahead and turn it down so it doesn't cook your fish. You're just about done! Good job!

As for the pH...using chemicals to alter pH is a slippery and dangerous slope. There are some natural materials you can run in your filter like peat moss that lower pH a bit, but it can be damaging and deadly to your fish to try and adjust pH.

The majority of fish can adjust to pH levels, what they can't handle is fluctuating pH. They would rather be in stable pH, as opposed to what a book tells you is their ideal pH.

For example, say the water out of the tap is 8, and the water in your tank is 6...every time you do a 50% pwc it causes a sudden and dramatic shock to the fish because you're instantly causing a pH swing of a solid point. There are ways to prepare your water you plan on using for the pwc ahead of time...but it takes extra work and patience.

So, in 99.9% of situations, you should choose fish that suit your water...not water that suits your fish.

You should post on the guide thread that you just about finished your cycle so other people can see how successful it can be. Hopefully the more people who see that fishless cycling works, the more will do it.

eco23 said:
Awesome. Here's what to do...leave everything exactly like it is for a couple days. Let the bacteria stabilize and hold the ammo and no2 at 0 for a couple days. Then, the day before you get fish do a massive 90% water change and get the nitrAtes as low as possible. If you've got your heater cranked up to help with the cycle go ahead and turn it down so it doesn't cook your fish. You're just about done! Good job!

As for the pH...using chemicals to alter pH is a slippery and dangerous slope. There are some natural materials you can run in your filter like peat moss that lower pH a bit, but it can be damaging and deadly to your fish to try and adjust pH.

The majority of fish can adjust to pH levels, what they can't handle is fluctuating pH. They would rather be in stable pH, as opposed to what a book tells you is their ideal pH.

For example, say the water out of the tap is 8, and the water in your tank is 6...every time you do a 50% pwc it causes a sudden and dramatic shock to the fish because you're instantly causing a pH swing of a solid point. There are ways to prepare your water you plan on using for the pwc ahead of time...but it takes extra work and patience.

So, in 99.9% of situations, you should choose fish that suit your water...not water that suits your fish.

You should post on the guide thread that you just about finished your cycle so other people can see how successful it can be. Hopefully the more people who see that fishless cycling works, the more will do it.

Thank you alot eco. You have supported me alot through the last two months or so. I wish i could do somthing other then giving rep. I appreciate it.

Hey man, I honestly done care if I have 0 or 1000 rep points, but thanks for the compliment. The important thing is that there are people like you who are willing to go the extra mile and make life better for animals who trust in you for their well-being.

Plus, anybody serving their country in the military like you are...deserve for me to be thanking you, not the other way around.

Only thing I'd ask is just to post on the thread in my signature that you're cycle was successful and hopefully we can convince other people it's the right thing to do.

eco23 said:
Post some pics there too once you get your fish!

When im on the cpu ill post. On my droid i dont see sigs.

And no fish. All inverts:)

Back
Top Bottom