Disaster Introduction :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiguardo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bit of a nightmare this afternoon. In my LFS I spotted two beautiful small silver angels that I thought may got very well in my 63 gallon community tank. I was a little concerned as I have 2 large Angels in there (which i thought might be aggressive towards them), as well as 2 Golden Gourami, Clown Loaches, a Rainbow Shark & three Bristlenose Pleco.

I acclimatised the Angels as usual, and all seemed well until my male Gourami spotted them and just relentlessly chased them (especially one), to the point where I thought it was going to expire. I couldn't watch this, so took my gourami out & put him in my other tank (but it's going to be a bit small in the long term). He chases the female gourami sometimes, but never like this.

All the other fish, including the Large Angels have been fine. The new Angels are still alive (one looks fine). I just hope the other one rallies. It is looking a little better, but very stressed. It's hidden in some plants, so hopefully will calm down.

Just not sure what to do with my male Gourami? May have to be returned to my LFS I think, sadly. :(

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I have a similar issue in my SW tank, my two little clown fishes are chasing a new goby to the point I have to intercede. I'm contemplating moving my troublemakers as well. :)

Sorry I can't be of much help, but I can feel ya on the issue.

carey said:
Sorry to hear of your trouble. I have a similar issue in my SW tank, my two little clown fishes are chasing a new goby to the point I have to intercede. I'm contemplating moving my troublemakers as well. :)

Sorry I can't be of much help, but I can feel ya on the issue.

Thank you. You feel so responsible, even though there is no way you can know. My Gourami has only ever chased the female a bit, but never to that degree. I hope things calm down for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Sad to report.... I've just found one of my little Silver Angels laying flat on the bottom. Nightmare :(

Aww man, sorry to hear that.....You got them separated really quickly so there wasn't much more you could do. :-(

Sorry to hear it :-(. Sounds like you did everything you could. Sometimes nature isn't the pretties or kindest thing.

eco23 said:
Sorry to hear it :-(. Sounds like you did everything you could. Sometimes nature isn't the pretties or kindest thing.

Thanks. You're right there, it wasn't nice to watch. Not quite sure what to do with my male Gourami? My 16 gallon is a bit small for him, but if I put him back in my 63 gallon, I'm worried he's going to chase the other Angel to distruction.

tiguardo said:
Thanks. You're right there, it wasn't nice to watch. Not quite sure what to do with my male Gourami? My 16 gallon is a bit small for him, but if I put him back in my 63 gallon, I'm worried he's going to chase the other Angel to distruction.

It might be time for a return to the lfs and bringing back Mr. Fishy :-(

I have had a very similar issue. What I did was completely rearrange the tank then put the trouble maker back in. This way it create confusion and everyone is forced to claim new territory as if they are all new. Then I monitored closely how they acted.

I am thinking that I may return the male Gourami to my LFS tomorrow. Good news is that the other Silver Angel is feeding tonight & seems fine. Sadly the Gourami has bitten off the lower section of his ventral fin, but it doesn't seem to be effecting him.

In a bit of karma, the male Gourami is getting chased (a little), by my Red Tail Shark in my other tank.

After a bit of soul searching I felt it was for the best of the community that I returned my aggressive male Gourami to my LFS. They were great & happy to exchange him for a lovely black juvenile Angel to replace my lost fish from yesterday.

He has been introduced into the tank, & other than a little big of chasing from my large male Angel, all seems fine.

eco23 said:
Good to hear :). Let us know how things go.

Peace & harmony has returned to the tank! New angels are settling in fine & I've seen more of my female Gourami since the male left than ever before :)

Back
Top Bottom